PDA

View Full Version : Main line entrance

Wanabe1972
11-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Im switching over to all vacuum this year and had to raise one side of my main line so it would get into a sap ladder. My problem is that several laterals are now 1 to 2 feet lower than my main line entrances. I have heard you can just run the lateral around a nearby tree like a barber pole to get it to the correct height. Is this the way to do it or can I just run it up on an angle. These laterals were already very high in the trees due to a low spot in the bush they sit in so raising the taps and laterals in not really an option.

Thad Blaisdell
11-15-2010, 06:52 PM
For just a one to two foot difference the answer is simple. Move your lateral up. Put in check valve spouts and tap below the lateral. Or just put in CVs and be done with it.

Dennis H.
11-16-2010, 07:55 AM
On the few trees that are below the mainline I just angle them up to meet the mainline. One of them is about 5' below.

Never tried the barberpole thing, I can't imagine that there is any benfit to it besides looking nice. I would think that you would also use more 5/16 doing the barberpole thing. Farther for the sap to travel.

mapleack
11-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Wannabe, there's no benefit to the barberpole. This same question has come up a bunch, look at this thread: http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=9800
I think the mini ladder is the way to go for vac transfer, but I haven't done any testing to confirm.

brookledge
11-16-2010, 04:04 PM
I have a section of mainline that is elevated to go over my driveway. and before it gets back down to a workable height it goes by some maples. All I did was to come off the mainline with a manifold on the top, and then drop the lateral straight down about 6 feet. It works good. And I'd rather do this then put in a ladder for the mainline.
Keith