PDA

View Full Version : Getting the gunk out.

Tweegs
11-15-2010, 04:17 PM
OK, so it appears I didn’t rinse out my main lines well enough. A week or so ago I noticed a 4 or 5” stretch of main with mold in it, must have been a small sag there.

Left the sag alone and ran about a 2% bleach solution through a tap upstream of the mold, hoping that if there really were a sag, the solution would collect there and dissolve the mold. I’ve been out there a couple of times now running the solution through without so much as putting a dent in it

This is the light blue ¾” main, same stuff as my lats, 30P, and the mold is located about halfway down a 500’ run. I’ve been thinking about using a stronger bleach solution, but thought I’d run it past everyone first before doing so. Don’t expect that the bleach will damage the main, but wondered if anyone has a different trick.

Sure would like to get that mold out of there and get everything rinsed before we get into the hard freeze.

Any thoughts?

red maples
11-15-2010, 08:27 PM
once I run water though it for a bit I hit with the air compressor and seems to clear most of the water out. as well as agitate the water through it to help clean it out.

sapman
11-18-2010, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I don't wash, so I get some spots like this. But as you can see, washing will also leave spots. I think it will all "come out in the wash" (or first sap run, rather:) satisfactorily when you start next season.

mapleack
11-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Just flush hot water through it, and fix any sag causing a low spot. If you have any squirrels or other chewing critters around NEVER use bleach. It will leave a sodium residue and the squirrels will go crazy chewing up you tubing.