PDA

View Full Version : Hanging mainline off wire

wkies
11-15-2010, 09:06 AM
So the High T wire is up - now time to hang the mainline to the wire. I have 3/4 in. blue mainline that I will secure using wire ties. My question is: Do you start securing from the top of the line or the bottom?

Haynes Forest Products
11-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Start at the worst spot so it gets eaiser:rolleyes: When I hang mainline I attach it with wire ties loosely and when I can get enough to hold it up I put as much tension on it so it stays fairly stright. I go back and add the rest of the ties and then do my last streach on the pipe. Then when its all nice and tight I tighten the ties. Trying to pull on the mainline when its tight to the wire is a major hastle. Its best if you have a helper run the line as you pull to strighten out the bags and such:)

Jim Brown
11-15-2010, 11:12 AM
We just put up 400 feet of 3/4 last sat. Run the wire and put a ratchet strainer on both ends.and brought is tight like a fiddle string and started hanging pipe from the top, leaving the spool of pipe setting on the spinning jenny and not cut until we got to the tie in and then cut it and tied in to he 1 inch main.We tie every 12-14 inches using wire alternate with tie nylon raps.If it needs adjusting we then side tie to maintain the height,also so it don't sag when running sap.
Works for us

Jim

red maples
11-15-2010, 12:33 PM
the best way that I have found is to put in ties loosly ever 10 feet or so. then I have those end wire weaved finger trap type things and pull it tight with a rachet tensioner. then I go back and put in the rest of the ties. this way the tubing is tight. I like to start in the middle an work my way to the ends.

Thad Blaisdell
11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Mostly agree with red maples. Few minor modifications though. First get the wire up and mostly tight. If less than 1500 feet you only need one tensioner. Walk the line and get it where you want and tighten. I put the tensioner on the down hill side but I would call that preference. Next unroll your pipe. Secure the dead end and wire tie loosely every 10-15 feet. Put the chinese finger trap on the pipe and pull tight using a tie down. I usually walk away from the pipe for at least a day at this point. When you come back you can tighten it more quite easily. Also tighten the wire again. Then I start at the dead end and wire tie toward the chinese finger thing.

Hope this is helpful.

Parker
11-15-2010, 03:31 PM
that is how i like to do it

WMF
11-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Don't use plastic ties !

bigtreemaple
11-15-2010, 05:36 PM
When using the tie down method to tighten the pipe we have used duct tape to hold the tie down strap to the the pipe before tightening. Saves buying and using the finger trap thing. Duct tape also makes for a fast temporary attachment to the wire until you can put all the wire ties in place.

danno
11-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Hum? Am I the only one who does not loosely tie first. I fasten dead end side to the end tree and put a come-along on the tube at the other end and pull her tight. Then wire tie may way down. Sometimes have to use a hip to shift tube under the wire - just adds to the tightness.

802maple
11-15-2010, 07:43 PM
I was wondering when somebody did it the same way I do. I mostly do it like Danno does except when I tightnen it, it is with my polaris wire stretcher, all 500 cc's worth.

lew
11-16-2010, 03:51 AM
I am a little hesitant about "stretching" mainline. I have had too many mainlines pull off their connections with too much pressure on them. Obviously this only occurs at the worst possible times. I anchor the dead end with a hose clamp around the pipe and wire in front of the hose clamp that is holding the end plug in place. This hose clamp also goes through the know at the end of the wire where it passes through the eyelet I have placed in the tree to end the wire. Then I start placing wire ties by using a larger than necessary tie loosely around the mainline and wire and sliding it down 6-8 feet ahead of me. ThenI place wire ties every foot until I reach the loose one and slide it ahead, etc. I use the side tie method for tightening my mainlines, so when I get to a "corner" of a bend I skip across the "corner with my pipe, may be 24" or a little less, depends on the severity of the bend. I then keep attaching wire ties until all done. Attach "live" end of mainline to fitting and I am done. If line needs a little snugging up all I have to do is go back to the "corners" that I skipped across and add a wire tie or two and that takes out any slack. I can't remember where I got the information, but I believe that the black water line will expand and contract 1" for every 100' over a certain temp. range (a range, if memory serves me corrctly, that occurs during the sugaring season)

PATheron
11-16-2010, 04:04 AM
I do stretch my mainline and but I double clamp the connectors on my trunk line. I use wratchets for everything. I pull up my mainline wire with a wratchet at both ends and get that tight. Then I take a six inch piece of the same size tube and split it and put it over the mainline and then double clamp it at one end to the wire thats holding the wratchet so it cant move. Then I walk down the line and put a loose wire tie every 10 to 20'. Then on the end Im going to pull the mainline at I put a wratchet just below the wire and stick maybe 10' of wire in the wratchet and then take another 6" piece of mainline tube split it and put it over the mainline and double clamp the wire to it thats in my wratchet. Then I pull the tube up tight and once it gets pretty tight the mainline wire will loosen up so I pull on that wratchet untill working back and forth I get the wire and the tube both as tight as I want them. Than I go back through and wire tie every couple of feet. I dont have to wire tie real close becouse its stretched real tight. Then down the road if I want to tighten it any I can just take a few more clicks. Never snakes at all that way. I use mostly black pipe. Theron

802maple
11-16-2010, 06:51 PM
That is why I get 2000 foot spools of pipe to eleminate all connections. That way you don't have those unpleasant surprises.

Parker
11-18-2010, 05:12 AM
I forgot to add,,I always tie the ties over the top of the wire,,so the wrap is over the wire this seems to help keep the tube from snakeing,,,works for me

Thad Blaisdell
11-18-2010, 05:33 AM
Hang the pipe tie every 10-15ft. tighten. Leave for 24 hours and retighten both wire and pipe. Then start at the uphill side and work down.

GeneralStark
11-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Instead of chinese finger cuff pipe tensioners, I have been using rope slings and prusik knots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik) around the pipe from trees to tension the pipe prior to wire tying. Other wise I use Thad's method and leave the pipe for a bit before tying.