PDA

View Full Version : dc pump for electric releaser

ejmaple
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have a question about home made releasers. i'am clueless when it comes to vac setups but i just purchesed an old alamo 60 and now need a releaser, i'am fairly handy and a plumber by trade. i have a few stainless inclosed tanks about 30 gal range that i think will stand up to vac. my question is can i make one of these tanks into an electric releaser using a dc pump. the issue is the end of the bush is 1500' away from any power and would rather not use a genny. any one use a dc pump for a releaser?

Dennis H.
11-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Not sure about using DC for power but a word to the wise. Be careful with putting vac on the SS tank you have. Even if it looks like it would work for vac it may implode when vac is put to it. The tank has to be made for vac to stand up to vac. It doesn't take much vac to implode a tank. Cool to watch not cool for the wallet if you bought the tank.

ejmaple
11-08-2010, 06:56 PM
ya the tanks are free they are old de pool filter tanks cylinder shape, they seperate in half, secured with a band clamp. we'll see. they are rated for 65 lbs. of internal pressure. i know its probably only designed for pressure force outward, but like i said we'll see.

markct
11-08-2010, 07:34 PM
they will take about 8lbs of vac, atleast the stainless pool filter tank housing i had got to just about 8 on the gauge before it crinkled up like a crushed beer can. i have seen some that look like a bit better shape for vac than the one i had tried, but most are pretty thin i think. seemed so ideal since you can open them up easy to clean but the one i had just didnt take the vac.

Gary R
11-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Might need some more info for help. Is the pump gas powered or are you running a vac line 1500'? The most common releasers are mechanical and need no electricity. Also, releasers usually only dump a few gallons at a time, so a smaller vessel is used. Maybe a ZERO tank would work for you? Not sure about the DC motor. It takes a strong pump to overcome the vacuum in the releaser. If you know of any local producers, it would be good to visit them and ask some questions.

ejmaple
11-09-2010, 05:09 AM
i'am running the vac line 1200' - 1500' . the bush will have around 250 taps. i'll also have to pump the sap from the end to a spot i can get to with the tractor, 150' away up hill. i've been using a small gas pump to do this. i guess a macanical releaser would fit my sanario better than an electric releaser, but would like to build one rather than buy one, and the electric seem alot easier to build.