PDA

View Full Version : 2x4.5 or 2x6

Brokermike
11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Sometimes we all have to ask questions in hopes of getting answers to reaffirm what we're already thinking in the back of our heads.

Here's mine:

After years of helping friends, last year I started on a 2x4 flat pan and had loads of fun, now I'm addicted. In the spring I bought a 2x4.5 drop flue grimm, I spent some time and added a blower and air over fire. I scrubbed the pans to daylights and I'm ready to roll. I also upped my taps from about 60 buckets to 150 on vacuum, and have access to another 100 or so bucket trees if I want.

On the advice of my accountant he suggested I shift from hobby mode to a more business oriented profit motive, or at least make a documented attempt at turning a profit after expenses. I have no serious dreams of becoming a big producer, I just want to make really good, light syrup. For 2011 I will have access to the above mentioned 150 on vacuum and up to another 100 on buckets if I want. I'm sure I can get buy with my 2x4.5 but have also been looking at a 2x6 raised flue unit.

So should I buy the 2x6? or see what the 2x4.5 can handle for the year? My concern is that i'll be swimming in sap on a good run and will end up boiling until 3am, and then going to work at 7.

Am I overestimating the sap I might end up with running vacuum? Should I skip the buckets? or do I just suck it up and buy the bigger rig?

Maplewalnut
11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
one vote for 2x6!

Killington Maple
11-05-2010, 03:15 PM
My vote is for the 2x6 as well.

tapper
11-05-2010, 06:26 PM
My second year with a 2x6 and 200 taps on buckets I had to dump sap after boiling till the wee hours of the morning. Made 80 gallons that year.

3rdgen.maple
11-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Dont make the mistake I did. I should have gotten a 3 x 8 instead of a 2x6. Take a good long hard look at how many taps you can reach and go from there. Before I can say go bigger or stay the same some more details of your rig are in order. What size flue pan is on it? If you got a 3 footer on it then I would say the heck with the 2x6 as you arent gaining much for the money. If you think you can get more than a couple hundred taps out I would say go 2x8 if you are limited on time. But its all a preference thing. I hate firing up the rig for a couple hours boil. I want long boils. It is all up to what you have time for. You should also notify your accountant that there isnt any profit in it for a small producer, well atleast not for alot of years of upgrading. 2 years ago I was at like 600 taps and last year was over 800 if my memory is correct and both years on the 2x6 I wanted more sap. To me 200 on a 2 x 4.5 is not a problem.

red maples
11-05-2010, 07:46 PM
the key words you used "now I'm Addicted" you have to go bigger!!!! go 2x6!!!:evil: