PDA

View Full Version : Best 2X8 Evaporator Available

OneLegJohn
11-03-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm looking to upgrade the ole' 2X6....probably next year. I'm looking for the best design, tried and true, design for efficiency.

I was thinking a 2-2.5X8 Leader Airtight Inferno, Drop Flue, with a Steam Away would be just right for me. What evaporation rate can I expect? How much $ can I expect to pay for a new/used unit?

Of course I am interested in other tried and true brands. Not interested in the fancy combustion units....not saying they don't work. Just saying there are probably some hiccups that haven't come to the surface yet.

briansickler
11-04-2010, 06:38 AM
I'd say your right on with the Leader Inferno set up. With the steamaway on a 30"x8' if you have the largest flue pan-5.5' your looking at an evap rate of close to 100 gal/hr. Can't help you with the price.

A trader by the name of TAPPER has a rig like this, with the steamawy. He tells me its a sap guzzling monster. He can help with the pricing and other questions.

Killington Maple
11-04-2010, 07:03 AM
If I could suggest something, I'd say, definately DON"T buy the inferno arch, unless you get your wood for free or very low cost. I bought one last year, which is a 3x10 with Max pans, and unless you have 100% DRY wood, you will be severely dissapointed with the performance. You will also go through an incredible amount of wood. Plan on firing it every 5-7 minutes, which will knock the evaporator out of balance flow wise. I was advised by some large producers at the start to go with oil. Boy, were they ever right! Am now converting my arch to oil. The only reason I initially went with wood was that last year I was still in the firewood business.
I would, however suggest that you spend the money on the MAX pan. It is money very well spent! It also gives you at least 50% more evaporation than the standard 7 inch flue pan, but does require the inferno arch or high efficiency oil arch.
I figure that with oil's steady heat, I will gain at least 20% in hourly evaporation compared to wood.
I can honestly say that after using wood this last season, I will never own another wood fired evaporator!

mapleack
11-04-2010, 08:38 AM
I've looked at a TON of evaporators over the years, if I was buying a new woodfired rig today, and as you said didn't want one of the newest high efficiency ones, I would buy an original hurricane arch from lapierre and buy max pans from Leader. Not considering effieciency I think that'd be the best woodfired combo you could do.

sapsucker78
11-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I recently upgraded from a standerd arch 2X6 up to a 2.5 X 10 CDL intensofire. I am totaly happy with this rig. I cut my syrup to firewood ratio in half and I only fire once every 40 minutes. I do not have a preheater or a steam pan and I can still get these results. Add one of them and you could do even better.I was evaporating about 100 gallons per hour and a full cord of wood will last me about 20 hours of run time.:)

twofer
11-04-2010, 09:27 AM
If I could suggest something, I'd say, definately DON"T buy the inferno arch, unless you get your wood for free or very low cost. I bought one last year, which is a 3x10 with Max pans, and unless you have 100% DRY wood, you will be severely dissapointed with the performance. You will also go through an incredible amount of wood. Plan on firing it every 5-7 minutes, which will knock the evaporator out of balance flow wise. I was advised by some large producers at the start to go with oil. Boy, were they ever right! Am now converting my arch to oil. The only reason I initially went with wood was that last year I was still in the firewood business.
I would, however suggest that you spend the money on the MAX pan. It is money very well spent! It also gives you at least 50% more evaporation than the standard 7 inch flue pan, but does require the inferno arch or high efficiency oil arch.
I figure that with oil's steady heat, I will gain at least 20% in hourly evaporation compared to wood.
I can honestly say that after using wood this last season, I will never own another wood fired evaporator!

I'm new to maple but IMO it looks like a solid air tight rig with a poor air injection design.

I have a 2.5x10 on order slated for delivery in December. In my order I had them remove the grates, the blower, and disable the air ports in the door. In order to improve the efficiency of the unit I plan on adding over fire air and casting my own refractory floor for the primary air injection.

OneLegJohn
11-04-2010, 02:08 PM
We definitely love to burn wood. We have ample amounts of it. It is actually something my dad loves to do. I keep the chains sharp and the saws running. Good trade off. I want efficiency for the size. I am intrigued by the Max flue pan. How does it work? Is it a drop flue, raised, or both? Does it have a two float system
I am more worried about the cost of the unit and am limited by floor space.

sapsucker78
11-04-2010, 03:35 PM
If cost is a concern thats one more reason to check out a CDL. When I compared them with a leader Max pan inferno arch setup the evaporation rate was about the same but cost was a lot less. As far as quality my opionion is CDL is ahead also. I guess its all about personal preferance though.

OneLegJohn
11-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Well....what's the price?

sapsucker78
11-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I have not checked real recently, but when I got mine there was 4-5 grand differance on the complete setup with steam hoods, fire brick, and all refractory materails.

Brent
11-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I like the Max pans from Leader and you can't go wrong with the Intesnofire.

But don't write of the Leader Inferno. It has be re-designed with good looking advances with air over fire and vortex generators for the air over fire. That should make it much more efficient.

nymapleguy607
11-05-2010, 06:04 AM
I like the Max pans from Leader and you can't go wrong with the Intesnofire.

But don't write of the Leader Inferno. It has be re-designed with good looking advances with air over fire and vortex generators for the air over fire. That should make it much more efficient.

Brent I think you might be confusing the inferno arch with the new vortex arch that leader started putting out this year. The vortex uses the high pressure over fire Air to create the vortex in the fire box and then uses a high volume low pressure air as a source of primary air as well as an afterburner. Last I had heard was the vortex was availible in a 2.5x10 size but was almost 20K

Brent
11-05-2010, 08:28 AM
The impression I got from Bruce at the IMSA in Stratford was that the Vortex was replacing the Inferno. But I have lost half my hearing so my 'impression' may be off base.

DrTimPerkins
11-05-2010, 11:11 AM
I have not checked real recently, but when I got mine there was 4-5 grand differance on the complete setup with steam hoods, fire brick, and all refractory materails.

One driver of current cost increases of evaporators is the price of stainless steel. While steel prices are still below their peak in mid-2006 through fall-2008 (after which the prices dropped), current prices have moved 50-60% higher than they were in early 2009, and seem to be still rising.

Homestead Maple
11-05-2010, 07:11 PM
http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/2037467070.html

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-14-2010, 03:23 PM
From talking to Randy Gaudette a few months ago, the price of the Vortex appears it will be below the cost of the other high efficiency arches.