PDA

View Full Version : anyone running diaphragm vac pumps?

wanting to get into it
11-02-2010, 04:13 PM
I had every intention on going with vac this year. However, time is not on my side here. Or funds my wife says. Ok, well what are you to do then? I was thinking of setting up a diaphragm pump and hooking up 75 to 100 and having it pump the sap right into the sugarhouse. I want a hobby releaser and want to go that route eventually. Actually, if someone had one that was selling it I would be interested. But it seems those are not easy to come by. So my thoughts are go with the diaphragm vac pump. Anyone using one of these? What brand, model, hp, cfm's? I keep reading any vac is better than no vac. Atleast this will get some time experimenting with vac set up and so on. Any input would be appreciated.

DrTimPerkins
11-02-2010, 04:39 PM
So my thoughts are go with the diaphragm vac pump. Anyone using one of these? What brand, model, hp, cfm's? I keep reading any vac is better than no vac. Atleast this will get some time experimenting with vac set up and so on. Any input would be appreciated.

I don't think the story has changed much since you asked this question back in May. The thread is http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=9259&highlight=sap+puller

Sap comes out of trees in response to differential pressure. The higher the pressure difference, the more sap will come out. Therefore some vacuum is better than none, and high vacuum is better than some vacuum.

Two basic models of SapPullers....a single diaphragm pair (200) and a double diaphragm pair (400). I've seen both gas and electric models.

The advantage of the diaphragm vacuum pump is that it doesn't require a releaser and is slightly less expensive than a pump/releaser combo (unless you can find an old dairy pump and build a releaser or find a decent used one). It will also pump sap. The disadvantage is that it requires a very tight system, as it will only move a small amount of CFM (it is afterall a liquid pump, not an air pump). So as long as you do a real good job maintaining your tubing, you'll get OK vacuum. If you don't want to spend time in the woods maintaining your tubing, then don't bother. You also don't want to let them freeze with sap in them...easiest thing is to prop it up a bit during operation so it'll drain naturally.

wanting to get into it
11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Ok, I guess what I was getting at is this. Does gast, thomas, etc make a suitable diaphragm pump? Or are these sap pullers the only ones out there. I was just curious if the others would work. Seems how if they would they are about $1000.00 cheaper.

Tmeeeh
11-03-2010, 07:06 PM
We've been using a Bosworth model 2800 for 10 years on about 700 taps. Sap pullers are made from Bosworth parts.

Advantages; no releaser, 1/2 hp elec. motor makes long power wire less expensive; you are forced to find and fix leaks, relatively low cost to buy and run.

Disadvantages; doesn't hold vacuum with even small leaks,

It will pull 20 inches routinely and 25 inches if you give it a small steady trickle of sap from the holding tank.

When in doubt..try it out.

wanting to get into it
11-03-2010, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=Tmeeeh;118951]We've been using a Bosworth model 2800 for 10 years on about 700 taps. Sap pullers are made from Bosworth parts.

Thanks, That is the kind of information I was looking for.