PDA

View Full Version : Bag Holders...

Jim Schumacher
11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
I will be making some sap bag holders in the near future and will be closely copying the one pictured below. Could someone please measure the hole that hangs it from the tap? The one I have appears to have been modified in the field. I would greatly appreciate it. I was also wondering if anyone ever found an effective way of using 5/16 tubing spiles to hang a sap bag with a conventional holder. Also, what is a fair price to pay for a sap holder in the new market?

briansickler
11-02-2010, 06:54 AM
3/4" is the standard hole size. You can buy the sap sak holders from Anderson Maple individually for $3.60 or if you buy 25 you can get them for $3.44 each. I just bought 25 from them. I think it came to $4.10 each delivered to my door by UPS. I think Leader charges over $6.00 ea. for them.

Brian

briansickler
11-02-2010, 07:02 AM
I just bought 25 from them. I think it came to $4.10 each delivered to my door by UPS. I think Leader charges over $6.00 ea. for them.

Brian

I would have bought more, but I want to check the quality of the sap sak holders first. I should have them by the end of the week.

Brian Ledoux
11-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I too am going to try making the sap sak holders myself. Will try using PVC as some have suggested here. Have not done it yet because I wanted to buy the bags first. Just have not pulled the trigger yet on buying the bags. Will post a reply on how they come out once I do it.

C.Wilcox
11-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Jim,

Are you planning on using stainless or galvanized sheet metal?

Jim Schumacher
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm thinking about using 26 ga stainless for the frame, 22 ga stainless for the loop.

C.Wilcox
11-03-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm thinking about using 26 ga stainless for the frame, 22 ga stainless for the loop.

Seems like prices range anywhere from $3to $6 depending on what material is used. I would guess a fair price for stainless would be in the $4-$5 range. I think if you'd have a hard time selling them if you went higher. Let us know how they turn out. I'm interested to hear how much effort you put in and/or how efficient you're able to get at making them.

Jim Schumacher
11-03-2010, 10:03 PM
That brings up a very good question to all of you who use bags... Would a beautiful well crafted stainless hanger be worth any more then a conventional galvanized one? If so, how much more? Production cost will be the same, material could run up to $.90 more for each one. Would people be willing to pay $4.50 for a stainless hanger verses $3.40 for galvanized? I would be interested to know.

briansickler
11-04-2010, 06:23 AM
That brings up a very good question to all of you who use bags... Would a beautiful well crafted stainless hanger be worth any more then a conventional galvanized one? If so, how much more? Production cost will be the same, material could run up to $.90 more for each one. Would people be willing to pay $4.50 for a stainless hanger verses $3.40 for galvanized? I would be interested to know.

I personally would not spring for the stainless. The galvinized holders will last a long time. Plus the sap is in the bag. It may contact the metal a little when you dump them out.

Brian

Maple Hugger
12-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I've never used bags before. What turns you guys on to them? Is there anything clumsy or cumbersome about the standard bag holder design that you would change if you could?

Angela

lastwoodsman
12-15-2010, 09:45 PM
The sap stays clean, no buckets to clean at the end of the season-just throw the bags in the recycle bin.
Bag holders take no room to store either.

Woodsman

Maple Hugger
12-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Have you had any problems with squirrels chewing the bags?

I know one thing I hate about our jugs is that it's impossible to get anything out of them right away in the morning. If there is anything frozen in there, you just have to wait until the sun warms it up a little bit. Can't get big blocks of sap ice to fit through those stupid little spouts.

lastwoodsman
12-16-2010, 06:13 AM
I have had no problems with squirrels- Had a coyote bite threw one last spring that was about it. I keep adding more each year.
I have done the milk jugs and icecream pails as well. The bags are the only way to go.
Woodsman

Rhino
12-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Bags will freeze easy, but they do thaw out fairly fast, more so when there is sap dripping on the ice and they are on the south side of the tree. I wouldnt want 3/4 or more of sap froze solid in them though, but that would have to take really low teens at night after a gusher of a day to fill 4 to 5 gallon sap bags. With us we have to be careful because in some of our bags we run 5 tap line networks into them, so they do fill up alot faster. We just make sure we empty them first so we don't have any issues. Also, if you do collect when there is some ice in the bags, sometimes the jagged edges of the ice can put holes in the bottom of the bags when the ice plops back down when you are done dumping them out. Since we started going to a custom bag maker we don't have that problem anymore, He uses a thicker plastic. Harder to put on the holder, but well worth the trouble. Nothing worse then a empty bag with a leaky bottom corner. Also, the bag holders won't loose alot of their value once you get them, there is always people looking for used bag holders.

Rhino
12-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Oh and about the rodents, Hate to say it but if your woods is infested with them? You might want to think about thinning them down. We are next to a creek so off and on we will have raccoon problems also.

Jim Schumacher
12-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Rhino, can you share the info on where you get your bags from? Sounds nice. Thanks

Rhino
12-16-2010, 09:40 PM
The guys name is Harvey.....Never got his last name....He lives in the Thorp area. His number is (715) 223-4624. He makes his bags from the clear film, but i didn't see that much dif. in the speed of thaw out time compared to the blue. Like i said, they will tolerate alot more abuse with handling, ice, and brush more then the blue ones. The price for each, was the same the last 3 years, as the blue ones also. Since he can make them any length you want, we do have him make up 150 thirty five inch long bags, for our woods that is 13 miles away from the cooker. That way, it buys us a little more time with collection. They are 5 tap line network taps so they are usually full or close to it. Drawback is the weight. No young kids to help lift those heavy piglets off the taps. I will be calling him soon to put my order in so we can put them on in January.

maple connection
12-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Does the guy in Thorp have bags on hand or do you need to order them in advance?
I'm thinking of trying some on my pvc bagholders but, I'm not sure if the bag will be to thick for the plastic tie to hold it into the groove.
Kevin

Rhino
12-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Kevin, I'm not sure if he keeps any on hand? My brother , who lives in Fall Creek, picks them up on his way up north so I never was there. I just place the order. I would guess close to the season he has a bunch ready, but i know when i order in December, he usually will say they will make them up in a week or so. Give him a call, he probably can make any opening size you need for the pvc since he has his own equipment.

maple connection
12-17-2010, 07:30 PM
I will do that.
Thanks, Ryan

lpakiz
12-17-2010, 11:37 PM
The phone number prefix (223-) is actually an Abbotsford prefix, which is east of Owen on Hwy 29. Thorp, which is west of Owen, is 699-

Rhino
12-18-2010, 11:37 AM
See, I told you I never picked up the bags myself, Just the ordering guy. Little to far west down Hwy 29 I thought he was. Oh well, just call Harvey, he will give good directions. Sorry if anyone ran to Thorp looking for Harvey the bagman the past few days.

syrupdreamer
12-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Ryan, could you please post a picture of your pvc bag holders for us to see.

morningstarfarm
12-19-2010, 11:13 AM
yes ditto on wanting to see some pics of those pvc bag holders..I need to make about 100 or so of them...

Rhino
12-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Sorry for any misunderstanding, We have all metal bag holders, A buddy of mine has pvc ones. I seen them once, They are basically 2" diameter pvc pipe, they are around 4" long pieces, Not sure of the diameter size hole he drills in the sides, but i know any size tap fits in them, He even uses plastic taps that the nipple broke off. (remember those old blue style taps that were so brittle?) He then uses 1 hose clamp to secure the bag to the pvc pipe. He uses a drill to tighten the hose clamp. Takes about the same time as putting a metal holder together. The day he showed me, he grabbed the holder and i pulled as hard as i could on the bag, and it didn't slide any. With the 2" opening, dumping them out goes good to. I know Kevin from Marathon Wis. on Mapletraders mentioned pvc holders, Maybe he could show his design?

Rhino
12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
talked to my buddy about the pvc holders tonight, he uses 3" or 4" diameter pvc pipe. I guessed wrong at 2"

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-07-2011, 06:01 AM
cool lil page with pic's of an old type bag vs newer type i think..
http://www.eskerridge.com/bj/syrup/MapleSyrup.html

waysidemaple
01-07-2011, 05:37 PM
If any one has a picture of those pvc bag holders Id be intrested in seeing them. Souds like a much better alternative than paying for the metal ones.

Jim Schumacher
03-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Well, were tapping in northern WI/UP MI this weekend. In addition to the rest of the taps were adding about 375 bags. This will be my first experience with bags. They will be hung on traditional style metal holders. Everyone!!! fire me some last minute tips!!!

dago9000
03-15-2011, 10:47 PM
watch out for squirrles grey and red

dago9000
03-15-2011, 10:59 PM
We lost around 178 bags to squirrels couple of years ago now we don't have a squirrel problem anymore. we have all metal bag holders with 5/16 spiels. I am trying a PVC bag holder i made to see how it works might make more if it works out

Indiana-Jones
03-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Well, were tapping in northern WI/UP MI this weekend. In addition to the rest of the taps were adding about 375 bags. This will be my first experience with bags. They will be hung on traditional style metal holders. Everyone!!! fire me some last minute tips!!!
Jim, look out for sticker bushes. I tore a couple of bags on rose bushes and blackberry thorns while collecting sap after dark. I took some time one day and clipped and cleared my trails to the bags.

Good luck with your season. I'm sure sad that mine is over here in the south.

Russ
03-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Don't know how many people you'll have working, but we have the best tree identifier lead (and break the trail) with the drill so we don't tap any basswoods, second guy carries the bucket of spiles and taps them in, and the third guy hangs the bags. Fourth guy, if available, is useful for keeping the third guy stocked with bags. Sounds like the third guy gets the easy job, but with our different spile and bag holder styles, it sometimes becomes down to the luck of the draw and a little customization to make sure the sap will go in the bag. Nothing a little stick between the tree and bagholder doesn't solve.