PDA

View Full Version : payments to landowners

40to1
10-30-2010, 09:02 PM
With the new thinking of using only 1 tap/tree when using vacuum, how does that affect agreements with landowners? Supposing that payment ($$ or syrup) is based on per-100-taps, a vacuum set-up could change the math dramatically. Fewer taps but equal amounts of syrup are a boon for sugarers, but a bust for landowners.
Is anyone going to tell them?

Thad Blaisdell
10-31-2010, 06:24 AM
Not everyone is going to the one tap per tree. The people who are doing that are looking for the big number for gallons per tap. I am on the other side of the argument, I am looking for total dollars at the end of the year. If my per tap ratio is dropped by putting two in a tree then so be it, my total gallons go up. I would rather pay a landowner a few more dollars to make more syrup.

markct
10-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Fewer taps but equal amounts of syrup are a boon for sugarers

what do you save that way??? just the cost of the t,tap, and drop? the tubing is already at the tree i dont see why its so great for the sugarmaker to use fewer taps

lmathews
11-01-2010, 06:29 AM
It is a preference.People are switching to one tap per tree for conservation reasons as well.A tree with one hole in it is healthier fifteen years later were a tree with multiple holes may not be.Something along that line is what I was trying to say.

markcasper
11-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Most people have calculated into the ratio, 1 qt. of syrup per tap. In other words, the per tap cost was based from that quantity of syrup produced. With vacuum and all the bells and whistles and the average yield movinq much higher, I never have seen much upward price in the per tap income offered to the landowner.

maple flats
11-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I just set my price for a comfortable increase each year. Last year I paid $.50 and at this point I am thinking $.60 for 2011. I have always had a good reaction each time I give the check to the landowners. They actually ask if I really want to pay that much. I had this response from the 3 landowners I have rented from. 2 have been dropped by me only because of driving time vs # of taps. I still use one of the landowners, and am adding as many taps as possible at that location. I pay in both syrup and $, basing the price on my per tap figure, then I ask how much they want in syrup. I pay the bal in cash. I think I may also be getting another landowner, just around the corner from my biggest one, with about 200 tap potential on all mature roadside trees. That deal is still being worked on.

markcasper
11-01-2010, 11:23 PM
what price do you figure your syrup in for the landowner? in other words do you figure bulk price or retail, the landowner could easily double his syrup allotment depending on what price you work with

sfsshadow
11-02-2010, 08:46 AM
we pay 1% of the retail price of syrup.the landowner gets a little raise every couple of years

sugarmountain
11-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Many people i know (myself included) are doing a tap price based on usda per pound value say at average price at the time you set it up. syrup goes up, tap price goes up. syrup ppv goes down, price per tap goes down. This info. is available on usda maple website. Just a thought