PDA

View Full Version : stainless vs galvanized arch sides

Brent
10-29-2010, 02:32 PM
I have to strip down the bricking on the "new to me" evaporator and it has a Leader Inferno arch with galvanized
sides and bottom. The folks that had it before me hung simple flat sheets of stainless from the rails to the floor. When I got it home and remove the stainles, I found the galvanized quite badly rusted. The rig was used about 5 years. I think the rusting was accellerated because the stainless hung over the outside trapped the heat in the 1/4" air gap between the sheets.

What is the normal life of a galvanized sheet on an arch.

I'm a bit torn between trying to save some money and the "pure stainless" appearance to sugar shack visitors and customers.

mapleack
10-29-2010, 03:18 PM
On a properly bricked and cared for arch the galvenized sides should last for 30 years or more. If they only have surface rust, not structural issues, I'd wire brush them and then get high temp silver paint. Voila, clean looking silver arch with no rust. Not as fancy as stainless, but alot cheaper.

Haynes Forest Products
10-29-2010, 11:46 PM
I would take it apart and use the galavanized pieces for a pattern and get them sheared out of cold rolled plain old sheet metal. My arch (see foto bucket) is 7 years old and has the high heat flat black paint from day 1. I only have blanket on the inside and its just like new. You dont need shinney to look good:)