PDA

View Full Version : Need input on what to do??????

cpmaple
10-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Last year i purchased a 2x5 homemade out of a 275 gallon fuel barrel. Worked good but, i went and purchased new pans this year from stainless steel creation and had them made to be 2x6 do i make old arch bigger or start from nothing and build a new to for the pans to sit on? Looked for a arch only for sale and found nothing in upstate ny or vermont area. Please if anyone have drawing of a arch send them my way. thanks again cpmaple

Bucket Head
10-28-2010, 08:19 PM
It would be a little more work, but I would build a new arch to fit those pans. Big fire box, ample draft or forced draft, maybe even air-over-fire, fire bricks and insulation- all the stuff you need to make those new pans boil. I don't know what your arch is like now, but I'm thinking you would be limiting what your pans could do with it. I think in the long run you would be happier with the new arch, and maybe down the road it could be lengthed to 2x8 or 2x10. With sugaring, you always have to plan ahead and figure that somewhere in the future you will expand. Its always pays to plan, and invest in, something that will provide years of service. Back when I went from a small pan to the rig I have now, a lot of people said I was'nt thinking straight. Well, I'm glad I did what I did and all those folks are impressed now when they see me making syrup! Good luck with the new pans.

Steve

cpmaple
10-29-2010, 05:23 AM
that is the route i was thinking about but, I dont know about how much ramp to put into it. Dont want to much or to little.. Well i will search and see if i can find a post with some sizes to work off from. thanks again cpmaple

morningstarfarm
11-04-2010, 05:35 PM
dont get worried about how much ramp...if you have a drop flu pan you're gonna want to fill it in until you have a 1/2" gap under them anyways...mine is right angled and my 2x6 averages 35-37 gals/hour...good luck

C.Wilcox
11-04-2010, 05:43 PM
What kind of pans do you have? Flat bottom, drop flue, raised flue? I would aim to have the top of the ramp end about 1/2 to 2/3 the total length of the pan for a flat bottom pan.

cpmaple
11-06-2010, 08:18 PM
I have a 2x2 divided front pan and a 2x4 flat pan and just looking for the best way to go thanks for any input. cpmaple

twobears1224
11-06-2010, 08:31 PM
theres a 2x4 arch in the for sale on here..if it,s ok you could rebuilt it and make it long enough to fit your pans.it,s located in ny

delbert

cpmaple
11-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I seen it there early this am and i'm looking for something better then the 275 drum i have now that may be the way to go where about are you located. I'm in crown point ny

NH Maplemaker
11-06-2010, 10:21 PM
cpmaple, do a search (plan for arch). You will find every thing you need to build your arch. Jim L.