PDA

View Full Version : Bascoms Open House

Sbascom
10-28-2010, 03:00 PM
I know it is still a long ways off, but we have started talking here about speakers and programs for our open house. Since we are not the ones going to the seminars I was interested in "What topics would you like to hear someone speak about?" Specifics are better i think, an hour on "tubing" doesn't really cover much. Also if there are speakers that you have heard in the past that you would like to hear again let me know. The open house is for the producers so I figure we should try to get speakers and topics that producers are interested in. Any ideas are helpful.

Sam Bascom

Rockwood
10-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Ever thought of posting the seminars on you tube? Love your shop but just to far to travel.

Tweegs
10-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Bush management?

Combating disease and pests.

Thinning the sugar bush, which trees to cull/transplant, how to maximize crown growth, etc?

red maples
10-28-2010, 06:37 PM
I would like to here something from the guy that designed the lappierre huricane force 5. Sorry I don't remember his name. I know he was working on some prototype stuff of his own working with smaller evaporators and drop flues to make them more effeicient.

Someone from the US Ag dept about the new syrup grading system about time frame, issues, streamlining. names for the grades etc.

And there is always the Dr. perkins and his crew They always have stuff going on.

thats all I can think of for now.

sapman
10-28-2010, 06:47 PM
I would say my two favorite speakers that I have heard at your place are Tim Wilmot and Glenn Goodrich. I know Glenn usually has his own stuff going on these days, but would love to hear him again if it were possible!

Favorite topics have included tubing installation and technique, evaporator operation. The off flavor one was fun a few years ago, too. Of course, any topics that Drs. Wilmot or Perkins cover!

Bucket Head
10-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm with Tim. Anything from those guy's is well worth listening to. I've listened to presentations from both Dr.'s and Glenn G., at either the V.V.S. conference or on maple tours, and they were very informative. We are fortunate to have opportunities to hear what they have to say.

Steve

batsofbedlam
10-28-2010, 08:09 PM
A workshop on setting up a dryline/wetline system would be helpful. Vacuum booster setup/ pros and cons would also help.

gmcooper
10-28-2010, 08:13 PM
How about a session on how to set up an RO. Also with that options to plumb up a system. Sugar house flow plans that include and RO, and efficient use of space.

twobears1224
10-28-2010, 08:40 PM
GM:great idea.

delbert

Amber Gold
10-28-2010, 08:47 PM
I think a shortened version of Brad's presentation a few weeks ago would be valuable...money's made in the woods not the SH. Maybe highlight the key areas of tubing setup.

I think a detailed discussion on categorizing off-flavors and how to fix them and maximizing syrup quality from sap to container. I'm looking to make the highest quality product I can. Although I do make good syrup, this is one area I haven't covered.

Maybe something on getting the most from the processing end of making syrup. Moving sap to syrup efficiently around the SH and how to maximize the efficiency of the RO and evaporator so more time can be spent in the woods finding vac. leaks.

Maplewalnut
10-29-2010, 06:37 AM
More discussion on wet-dry systems and when and where to use them. I also like the sugarhouse theme to maximize space suggestion.

swlyamaha
10-29-2010, 07:05 AM
I would like to see a setup of Vacuum and releaser for a small system. 100 to 200 taps.

maplecrest
10-29-2010, 09:12 AM
i went to every seminar that was held last april and may and asked the same question at everyone. what i would like too see is one on cleaning flue pans. different acids like dairy, milk stone remover, leaders acid ect. how thet are used , how much too use. how long to let set in pans. do you bring to boil? or just hot.rinsing and baking soda. the list goes on and on.weld pans and soldered pans. how to clean mid season for no after flavor. we all know about leaving sap in the pan over summer. but the technology and know how is out there.as an example, i just do not know the right amount of acid too use. if jug says 1 oz to 6 gals of water for dairy pipeline rinse, how much to use to clean a flue pan?if leaders acid says not to use in flue pans what would you use?

Killington Maple
10-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Sam,
I'd like to suggest having a rep from the USDA speak about the low interest loans and energy grants available to sugarmakers. Many out there aren't aware of the great benefits of dealing with the USDA as opposed to dealing with a bank. Getting my USDA loan was simple and painless!

40to1
10-30-2010, 08:41 PM
I agree re: ROs.
Dr. Timothy Perkins was great last spring. I'm always happy to take a drink from the information firehose coming out of Proctor.

If you could convince the Cornell University people to show up with super sweet maple seedlings, I would buy 10, or 20...

red maples
10-31-2010, 06:11 AM
thought of something else: cooking with maple . Always looking for more recipes for maple. fall and x-mas ideas for all the stuff going on at those times.

maple maniac65
10-31-2010, 09:31 AM
I would lke to see something on marketing of maple

Parker
11-03-2010, 07:26 AM
I like to hear Scott Wheeler and Gerry Corry..they put on a good "high proformance tubing" class at the vermont school a few years back and I have used some of their ideas with very good results...they are making more that 90% of us per tap.....pushing the envelope with higher and higher yeilds..