PDA

View Full Version : Sugarhouse Drains

briansickler
10-26-2010, 06:39 AM
I want to have a couple of floor drains in the concrete floor of the new sugarhouse I'm building. I'm looking for advice on installing them and how to slope the concrete to them. I thought I'd have a drain on each side if the evaporator. I've seen channel drains and the regular round drains. Can I get these at Lowe's or Home Depot? I haven't even looked for them yet. I hope to pour the floor soon. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Brian

whalems
10-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Trench drains are easier to get slope to them. and much more surface area to drain to when your hosing down the floor.

mapleack
10-26-2010, 07:27 AM
If I was doing it over I'd go for the trench style box drains.

xyz5150
10-26-2010, 01:43 PM
The best tool i have for pouring concrete sloped for a drain is my checkbook also works good for roofing.:lol:

802maple
10-26-2010, 03:48 PM
It actually works good for anything that has to do with Maple

Jeff E
10-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Drains, like electrical outlets-more is better.

I have on by my evaporator (should have put one on both sides) and one by my RO and tanks.

I have 8" round drains with sediment traps, they work well.

Thad Blaisdell
10-26-2010, 04:35 PM
With my sugarhouse I put channel drains on both sides of the arch. One for a sink. Then in the RO room I put one in the middle of the floor and then brought the drain pipe up and out of the floor near the wall. With this pipe I was able to plumb the RO drain, the water overflow for the vacuum and the overflow for the permeate tank. All nice and neat and no water all over.

Also with the channel drains, the way I clean up every night is to throw water all over the floor and then use a big 30" squeegee and pull all the water into the channel drains. Gets the job done quick.

Good luck with your floor.

Haynes Forest Products
10-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Like most sap shack drains they daylite into the woods or into a simple pit so I dont recommend a trap in the line. The last thing you want is a frozen drain line. Your not worried about sewer gas so its not recommended. Mine gets plugged just from all the mud small gravel and beer caps that we run down the drain. I would put a shower type cover over the inside to keep the critters out. My drain is a simple 2" ABS set in the center of the floor and cut off afer the cement was poured and I put a SS cover from HD on it. One 10' stick of ABS and 1 elbo and your good to go I would use 3" if possible:)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-27-2010, 08:57 PM
I have regular round 4" floor drains in my concrete and don't have any problems with odors and I don't have any traps.

Thad Blaisdell
10-28-2010, 06:00 AM
If you use a channel drain what I did was I have the actual drain coming out of one end about 1/2" above the floor that way any debris stays in the channel. Pull up the grate and I use a hoe to clean the channel out and no worries on plugging the drain.

Haynes Forest Products
10-28-2010, 09:48 PM
How many sap shacks are tied into the sewer system. I would bet .001% and only if its inspected or it has a crapper. Some states very on Grey water and how its handled. Now if you drain your hot tub on the ground your breaking the law unless its treated. I wonder how flushing your RO will be handled?

Maplewalnut
10-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Same idea- Can I core drill a small drain through my concrete floor and have it drain through the fill stone without piping it out. Just use it as emergency and a clean up sort of drain. I have about 4 feet of compacted 2B stone underneath the floor before it hits dirt

michiganfarmer2
02-14-2011, 01:26 PM
I shortened a 55 gallon drum and set it in the floor for a sand trap, then cut a hole for 4 inch pipe out of the side near the top. The pipe goes underground out to a couple sections of drainfield. I have some grating over the top.

I sure like the trench drain ideas though

Timber Juice
03-12-2011, 03:12 AM
I have about 4 feet of compacted 2B stone underneath the floor before it hits dirt

I don't think water would seap thru that stuff very well at all, and if it did it would wash out all the fines and not be a solid support for the floor.

The other concern might be a long hard cold deep freeze:o, and you end up with a bump in your floor.