PDA

View Full Version : Sugarshack addition

stoweski
10-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Well, after my first season of hauling in wood from the pile covered in snow I added a 12x14 roof extension on to my sugarshack. The ladder looking framing in the second picture is my sap tank stand. Undercover and out of the sun now.

That, a coat of Behr waterproofing stain, an indoor utility sink, and a gas finisher and stove round out my upgrades for this season. Nice part is I can drive my tractor under the roof so I can empty my sap collection tank out of the elements.

I suppose that I'll be making further improvements down the road but I don't think they'll be as big as this.

Now all I need to do is fill the addition with wood!
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Looks great. Really awesome looking sugarhouse, first class.

sap retreiver
10-25-2010, 04:54 PM
That's just about right. If you dont mind wat did you do for foundation/slab? I can't make up my mind on the right size, location and many other things but yours looks good. Any info from others has and will be helpfull.
Thanks, Brian

stoweski
10-25-2010, 06:00 PM
That's just about right. If you dont mind wat did you do for foundation/slab? I can't make up my mind on the right size, location and many other things but yours looks good. Any info from others has and will be helpfull.
Thanks, Brian

Had a 14 x 20 slab poured set on top of 6"-8" of crushed stone. The base below is sand for a good 2' and clay below that. I only know this because of the hole that was dug for the drain. I did not have a foundation or footings poured but the slab is reinforced with plenty of rebar... to the tune of pieces every 1' in both directions. I also didn't pour footings or a foundation for the evaporator since I wasn't sure where it was going to go and I don't believe the floor will move that much due to frost - at least it didn't move much last season. We did use fiberglass reinforced concrete.

Keith

Bucket Head
10-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Thats a really nice looking sugarhouse. I'm jealous! Does that Behr waterproofing come in different color stains, or is that color the only color it comes in? Either way, it looks great.

Steve

Maplemaker107
11-17-2018, 09:31 PM
Do you have any blueprints for the sugar house build I really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

heus
11-18-2018, 06:06 AM
Looks great. If you are anything like me, that addition will be enclosed soon, and you will be putting on "another" addition.

Aa2tn
11-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Yes, just like "Heus" said it won't be long before that is closed in and you are adding on again! Thats how this addicting hobby goes....Looks great so far. I will have to add some new pictures of mine I finally got it closed in, hope to start moving the evaporator in next weekend.

Sugarmaker
11-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Very nice sugarhouse and addition too! Like most buildings in may not be big enough as you grow!
Regards,
Chris

stoweski
12-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Well, here are the only “plans” I have for the shack, along with some updated photos.

The original shack is stick built with studded walls. I honestly don’t like the interior as I prefer the look of timber frame style buildings. I used roof trusses from a local building supplier and then bought more of the same for the woodshed addition. Sorry guys, I didn’t enclose it and don’t plan on it anytime soon. 😁

The shack is 14’x20’ and has a 6/12 roof. I ran power to my garage then out to the shack.

Two years ago I built an extension on it for use as a storage shed for our bee equipment. I was sick of running up into the attic of my garage to fetch stuff while working on the bees. So I store bee equipment, honey jars, and all of the bottles for maple out there, along with two kayaks. That addition is 10’ x20’. I overbuilt it just a bit. I used 4x4’s for the walls and two 2x8’s at the top of the outer wall for roof support. This holds the 2x6 rafters. All rough cut of course. I love how the storage area turned out. I wish I had done the same in the shack. Maybe in my next life. While I was building the storage area, I extended the roof to the back of my woodshed extension so I could store all of my tanks, etc under cover. I also have a 400 gal round bottom tank there to feed my RO.
Last year I added an insulated RO room inside the extension but only with access through the shack. So, I think I have things the way I want them now.

New this season, I added four switches above my auto draw off. Two are for linear actuators that open and close the cupola doors (no more ropes and pulleys), one is for a winch that raises and lowers the hood over the flue pan, and the last switch is for my LED lights in the cupola. I know, pimp my shack. But the cupola looks really cool with the steam lit up. Yes, my hoods vent into the cupola... for now.

Hope the Picts help and inspire people. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

stoweski
12-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Here are the other Picts. Please excuse the mess. Still cleaning things up for the season.

SeanD
12-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Mess? That looks like a Maxant extractor in the corner. I've still got mine in my sugar house, too - along with empty supers and uncapping setup, and more. That's no mess. You are just between seasons!

stoweski
12-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Yes it is a Maxant. Right next to an old 2 frame Root extractor. But that’s my storage room for our beekeeping equipment and some maple bottles. I had to build that addition so I didn’t have to run up to the garage attic or down in my basement while working the hives. This makes it so much easier and everything is in one place! The mess was behind the shack. Odds and ends from fall projects.