PDA

View Full Version : Maple butter w/ butter

Amber Gold
10-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I was over a friends house and they had maple butter from a SH near them. Turns out it was actually maple butter with maple syrup and butter. Has anybody heard of this? I threw me for a loop. I was expecting maple cream and was trying to figure out why it tasted so different. The odd thing too is it was packaged in a plastic cream jar (which is fine) but it had a hot packed seal on it...seal with the heat sensitive glue. How can they do that?

They also had real maple cream. This was hot packed as well. Again how did they do this. When I make cream, I cool it to 80F before I start mixing it. There cream had good flavor, but I couldn't find any sign of sugar crystals at all. How'd they do that? Mine comes out good with very fine sugar crystals, but you can still feel them, there's I couldn't.

TapME
10-24-2010, 06:01 PM
josh, I make maple butter as you discribed all the time. Equal parts butter and syrup. I think it's in the cooking section in here. The maple butter taste awesome, no other way to discribe it. My mother us to do it too.

BryanEx
10-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Salted or unsalted butter? I want to try this out this week.

red maples
10-24-2010, 07:46 PM
I have made it as a spread for breakfast breads and stuff. we used unsalted butter but added a pinch of salt( unsalted butter is fresher Salted butter has a longer shelf life so the butter isn't as fresh and doesn't taste as fresh either) and its pretty much equal parts butter to syrup any less you just don' t get enough maple flavor. soft butter and room temp syrup mix in the mixer!!! done. I don't know how they hot packed it though. I would think if you heated it the fat would separate out???

TapME
10-25-2010, 06:03 PM
maplwrks in the maple butter thread has the cooking instructions if you want to read them. I have had mine in the fridge for 6 months and it still taste great. Some times the sugar granduals get larger but the taste is still nice.
I pack my butter hot and let it cool in the tupperware containers of 16oz and the have some seal on them. I guess you could pack hotter but I would try a sample package first.

802maple
10-25-2010, 07:22 PM
I have made it with equal parts but I have also made it with as much 4 parts syrup to 1 part butter. What I do is cook the syrup up to 234 degrees and then add the butter frozen and stir immediately and it will turn to a consistancy of maple cream. This is how we have always made it. This way you could hot pack it to a certain degree.

red maples
10-26-2010, 02:38 PM
hmmm I am gonna try that!!! I would think Darker or grade B would be good yes???

802maple
10-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Usually Med A or Dark Amber

WMF
10-26-2010, 05:22 PM
They probably have an induction sealer for the cream jars, they are getting very reasonably priced lately.

To make velvet smooth cream you need to cool rapidly and not let crystals form anywhere.
The new gear pump machines will make decent cream even out of a cooled batch containing crystals but there will always be a little grain which some sugarmakers prefer but most consumers want velvet smooth cream.

Amber Gold
10-26-2010, 07:02 PM
An induction sealer?? Never heard of them. Are the jars sterilized?

How can you cool it more quickly than putting the pig in an ice bath? This is what I do. My sugar crystals are very small, but there's weren't even noticeable.

I may need to add maple butter to my product list. It was quite good. Are there any regulations regarding taking a manufactured product and adding syrup to it and making it in a non-commercial/inspected kitchen?

maplefrank
10-26-2010, 08:53 PM
i have a friend who makes maple butter, said he was going to make some for me but hasn't...... i have been told its easier to make than cream.

maplwrks
10-27-2010, 06:11 AM
When I make mine, I cook the syrup to 234, just like cream. Cool it to room temp, mist the top with water to prevent crystalization. I stir in equal parts of salted butter to the syrup, and mix with a mixer. I package it in plastic tubs, and refridgerate. If you use cream tubs, they will seal when you screw the cap on

Brent
12-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Josh
Sugar hill sell the special caps that have foil in them. They had an induction heater on the stand at the IMSA up here a few weeks ago. Very reasonable price I thought. From memory, about $ 129. It just heats the seal, not the jug.

I just looked on their web site and they don't mention it. Actually a pretty lousy web site. Not a mention of maple containers.