PDA

View Full Version : Pan gasket

western mainer
10-21-2010, 04:14 PM
I just picked up a 2003 Grimm Evaporator 18 in x 48 in on the cheep, used just 3 years for $250.00. We wasn't going to to get started this year but this came along. It doesn't have a pan gasket between the pan and fire box, should I add one?
Thanks Brian

Haynes Forest Products
10-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Yes it keeps the smoke out and the air from entering the arch slowing the draft and cooling the underside of the pan. find some blanket and cut it into strips and your good to go or boiler door rope seal

western mainer
10-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Would you use a high temp gasket cement to glue it down?
Thanks Brian

Bucket Head
10-21-2010, 08:03 PM
No, don't bother with the gasket cement. It probably won't hold up for long anyway. Just lay the strips down and set the pan on them. The weight of the pan/pan & sap will hold everything down. Good luck with the "new" rig!

Steve

brookledge
10-21-2010, 09:01 PM
It will help as Haynes said how ever you don't need it. Once you get forced draft then it is a must. But I'd recommend you use some. Also the woven type will last alot longer than regular
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
10-21-2010, 11:50 PM
I beg to differ on the you dont really need it. Next time you remove your pan for cleaning look at the bottom of the pan. Do you see areas right next to the edge that are clean. That is where outside air is entering the arch between the pan and arch rail. Its clean because cold clean air is blowing the heat and soot away from the bottom of the pan. I read on this site all the time about tweeking the evep for max performance.....well thats one way to get it. Cheap to.

maplwrks
10-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Brookledge and Haynes are right. Use the braided gasket and glue it down. The gasket should last a long time. If you get the light "fluffy" stuff, it will only last about one year. I've had braided on my oil fired for 9 years now, and it is still in good shape.

TapME
10-22-2010, 05:26 PM
western mainer: the advise is good here just remember that your rig is 18x48 and your not going to make 100 gallons on it this year. laid down gasket will work till you get the real rig in that great looking sugar house. have fun

western mainer
10-23-2010, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the info. Were just getting going here so 100 gal. wasn't even in the sights! We did pick up some tubing last night.
Brian