PDA

View Full Version : rapitube

danno
10-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm looking for a couple hundred feet of 1" rapitube to run from where my woods end, across a small field to my sugarhouse. There are enough trees in the field to side tie. I want to use rapitube because I expect not to leave this section up year around.

Anybody know a dealer who will break up a 500' foot roll or does anyone want to split a roll?

If not, has anybody ever tried to suspend black mainline without wire? Will that be a disaster?

Parker
10-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Danno- I have sevral spots where I have 3/4" mainline just supported on each end with chinesse finger traps and pulled sideways here and there,,I do put hoseclamps on the traps to make sure they dont slip,,works for me.

Farmboy
10-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I've seen entire 4000 tap bushes set up without a single peice of wire. I will try to explain it but someone that was at the mass maple summer picnic might be better at explaining it or have pictures. Basicly you get a washer that the fitting at te end of the line fits in and put it over the fitting before you put it on the mainline. The washer has 2 holes that are 180* apart. You hook 5/16 hollow core rope to the washer trought the holes and somehow tie it of with that. You set it up and tighten it then a week or to later go back and strech it again and it should be all set. Jeff mason from red bucket sugar shack designed it. Give him a call and he can explain it better his phone # is 413-238-7710. Him and his wife have 10,000 taps and they sell maple equipment.

heus
10-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Does rapitube only come in 1000 foot rolls? I cant seem to find anywhere on the net that shows a price.

danno
10-19-2010, 08:11 PM
500 and 1500 foot rolls I believe. It ain't cheap - quote I got was 88 cents/foot plus $25 for a roll of side tie. Just can't justify paying for a full roll and only using 200'. For the woods - I'll continue to use black pipe and wire, which I have plenty of. Was just looking for that short section to cross my yard.

jcb
10-20-2010, 04:35 AM
I have a section of main line I have to take down. What I did was use a come-a-long on one end of the wire then then tied main line to the wire. At the end of the season I just released it rolled it up for the summer.

lastwoodsman
10-20-2010, 07:37 AM
JCB
Nothing to do with your questions but I have to tell you, I love seeing the photos of everyones sugarhouses and the surrounding land.
And you have a absoulety beautiful site. What I think of when thinking of the eastern seaboard (Maine,Vermont,NH, Mass.)and sugaring. Also seeing logs on a truck is like seeing a big buck running to my stand.
Your photos are better than prime time tv!!
Makes a guy wonder what poor folk like Bill Gates have to enjoy! They will never have the pleasure of syruping in this great land!!
Wish I could see it in person.
Woodsman

jcb
10-20-2010, 10:34 AM
JCB
Nothing to do with your questions but I have to tell you, I love seeing the photos of everyones sugarhouses and the surrounding land.
And you have a absoulety beautiful site. What I think of when thinking of the eastern seaboard (Maine,Vermont,NH, Mass.)and sugaring. Also seeing logs on a truck is like seeing a big buck running to my stand.
Your photos are better than prime time tv!!
Makes a guy wonder what poor folk like Bill Gates have to enjoy! They will never have the pleasure of syruping in this great land!!
Wish I could see it in person.
Woodsman

Thanks, we do have fun and some crazy love afair with the woods

markct
11-13-2010, 11:25 PM
why cant you use wire? i have places that my mainline is taken down in sections to cross in the offseason and we just unhook it after the tension is released and roll it up