PDA

View Full Version : Still more RO questions

Dan W
10-18-2010, 08:48 PM
I just finished putting the new membrane in the RO and completed all the plumbing. Since i don't have heat in the sugar house I have it on wheels so I can tow it with the 4wheeler to the house and keep it in the garage where it won't freeze. I would really like to run this unit to make sure there are no leaks and truely get the hang of operating it before the season. Could I run it for a while and save all of the permeate? Then flush with say 100 gallons of permeate and just put it away till the season? I would think that the permeate would be bacteria free and would not cause any problems. I would still run some more regular water through it again to flush it out before actually using it for sap. Any thoughts or recomendations?

danno
10-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Would it be easier to just use the RO in the garage and trailer or pump the condensate to the evaporator?

I believe you can damage your membranes unless your water is soft. There was a thread on this issue last spring when guys were discussing whether to do the first RO flush of the season with sap (which would get tossed) or water.

Dan W
10-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I want to feed the evaporator directly-one less step you know. I have a water softener at the house and a charcoal filter and regular 5 micron filter to go before the RO to absorb the chlorineand dirt. This would basically be a one time deal just to get the hang of the RO and make sure there are no leaks. After that I will save and use permeate to rinse and flush at the sugar house. My big question is how long can I leave the RO sit with just permeate in the vessels without creating any problems? My guess would be a good while, but I don't know.

Homestead Maple
10-19-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm no expert but do you have any preservative for your membrane that you could mix with your water to store your membrane with. Bacteria is a big problem with membrane storage. As far as using your softened water, a small run through with that won't hurt it. Continued use would probably be a problem.
I'm sure some of the experts will respond here soon.