PDA

View Full Version : RO?

collinsmapleman2012
10-18-2010, 03:44 PM
so heres my question: whats the cheapest alternative to an RO or is there a small,cheap ro that i could buy or even make?

Bucket Head
10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Collinsmaple,

Take it from another "backyard flat pan guy" that has advanced his operation little by little, the "cheapest alternative" would be a small evaporator with a flue pan. Can you weld? Know anyone who does that would trade services? You can build one yourself, like I did, for just a fraction of what it would cost to buy one outright. Nowadays, a 2x6' with an RO in front of it allows for all sorts of expansion down the road. Start with the basics and you'll be good to go for a long time.

As for an inexpensive RO, several guys on here have, or have just purchased small RO's from "The Waterguys". Chris out in Victor, NY just bought one for next season. I'm anxious to hear how he likes it. I have been considering a small RO for a while now, knowing its the most economical way to expand- more taps, more sap, more syrup, but less boiling and fuel usage.

I have also considered building one. Several guys on here have done that, and they have been pleased with the results. Hopefully some of those folks will comment here. I would like to know more about the homemade jobs, and I would love to see one work! I don't know much about them so some serious question and answer sessions would be needed! An RO build, or a small evaporator would be a great winter project. I see your not too far away from me, so you get the same "long winter" that I get, so theres lots of time before the sap starts running. If you need some advice on a homemade evaporator, don't hesitate to ask. Maybe some folks out there will be willing to offer advice to both of us on a homemade RO. Either way, keep us all posted on your progress and expansion plans.

Steve

brookledge
10-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Based on your tap count I'd just go with a bigger evaporator. while some have built RO's and others have modified small ones meant for drinking water they just aren't very good for sugaring. One producer who had merlon ro's finally bit the bullet and went with a ro designed for sugaring
Keith

jcb
10-20-2010, 05:22 AM
I would look at your buget and go from there. R/O's are not cheap and if you find one cheap remember you get what you pay for. also its not just the R/O its alot of other equipment that goes along with it. I'm with these guy on the advice of upgrading your pans first.