PDA

View Full Version : shipping to Spain.

Justin Turco
10-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Anybody ship to Europe before? In addition to the cost of shipping, are there customs fees that come into play?

Bucket Head
10-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Justin,

Try calling Fed-Ex or UPS. I would think they would have an idea on the shipping details for going out of the country. I had some of my syrup go to China a few years back. However, one of my "tree owning neighbors" sent it to a relative who was living there, so I was'nt in on the details of its shipping. It must not have been too expensive or too much of a hassle. She did not complain about its shipping. When you find out, let us all know what the process is for over seas shipping.

Steve

mountainvan
10-19-2010, 05:29 PM
I sent usps to europe. the shipping is usually a lot, considering syrup is not light and it all goes by plane. go to usps.gov to calculate shipping. ups and fedex are a bit more.

jcb
10-20-2010, 05:08 AM
How much are you sending? I would use a USPS flat rate box. I think you can fit 2 half gallons in the biggest one.

mountainvan
10-20-2010, 07:39 AM
yes, 2 1/2 gals in the large or 3 qts. the weight matters most. use very light packing.

Justin Turco
10-22-2010, 07:01 AM
I came up with 43.50 for "priority mail" using the "medium" flat rate box. (Up to 20 lbs.) Also, I am pretty sure there is some minor customs paperwork to be completed.

I'm just wondering about customs fees. Have any of you had to pay extra for anything above and beyond the shipping cost? Thx for the info.

I should also mention after I gave the guy the price, I didn't hear back.. So I probably won't be actually sending this package. But at some point maybe it will come up again.

Grott
01-02-2011, 11:19 AM
In most cases the taxes and customs charges are handled by the importer. Brokers are available if the customer or shipper can-not manage the transaction.

Garett

maple flats
01-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Be sure of your customer before shipping it. I have had numerous scams who try to order product and ask if I accept credit cards or western union or something other than good hard cash. These most often are orrders that get sent asking for a price to ship but specify nothing, such as " please send me a price list for your product so I can place an order (sometimes they say 'a large order'" , but they never mention maple or anyother product they just say "product" and that they want to do business. These are a scam, if you ship, you will be out shipping and their method of payment will not get you the money. Beware! Now if you know the customer, hopefully everything changes.

sugarstone
01-02-2011, 05:39 PM
For a Canadian comparison...
We sent 4x250ml jugs to Switzerland prior to Christmas. Canada Post quoted us $50 for Air Mail. We chose Ground (ground/boat of course) as it was roughly half the cost. Down side is that it was going to take 4-5 weeks. No talk of duty charges or other charges.

MapleSyrupWorld
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Hey Justin,

We ship to Europe all the time at http://www.maplesyrupworld.com/ and there is many factors which you will need to look into.

Each country has their own customs laws. The best way to verify if there is specific instruction, paperwork, etc is to phone either USPS or Canada Post and verify with them.

Make sure you have your harmonized code for your product before hand.

Furthermore, other factors will play:

What are you shipping: Maple syrup, maple cream or something like maple caramel which is a bit more complicated as it contains other ingredient than maple syrup.

Total Price of shipment: Countries have different threshold on import, Italy will let pass food parcels under 100 euros value but more they will withhold it and charge tax and custom fee.

Hope it helps,

Richard