PDA

View Full Version : ceramic blanket

VA maple guy
04-07-2005, 11:00 PM
I use two 55 gallon drums welded together end to end for a evaporator. I have been thinking about wrapping it with a ceramic blanket to help hold in the heat.
I tried using fiberglass insulation but that turned out to be pretty messy.
Has any one ever tried this stuff ?
Gerry

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-08-2005, 07:35 AM
Ceramic blanket works awesome for about anything you can use it for and is not messy like fiberglass insulation. I think this is an excellent idea and will work great! :D

It is for sale on ebay for very good prices! :D

VA maple guy
04-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Hay Brandon, Ebay's the place that gave me the idea for the ceramic blanket, they got all kindes of good stuff there. I just need to decied what thicknes to buy. 1/2" 1" or 2" I'm leaning towards the 1" but I guess I got plenty of time to decide.
Gerry

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Gerry,

1" should be good for that and 2" would probably be overkill. You can also cut the 1" in strips 1 to 2 inches wide and use it as pan gasket and it works great. Sure beats the rip off price the maple companies charge for it. :)

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-11-2005, 06:13 PM
post edited

VA maple guy
04-11-2005, 10:27 PM
I'll have to rember your idea for a pan gasket. Right now I have my two pans recessed about 6" into my 55 gallon drums .It dosen't seal verry well
but it keeps the sides of my pans hot. If I could talk my trees into producing more sap, or find more trees to tap, I 'd think about stepping up to a real evaporator.
Gerry