PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator Recommendations?

Lazarus
10-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Well, it's been only a year, but I think I've outgrown my first evaporator. Last year I ran about 20 taps, but this year I got permission to tap on my neighbor's property. We just did a quick walk through the woods today. She has these "gangs" of silver maples that are huge - they have as many as six full sized trunks all grown together. The woods are full of these things, so I'm probably going to use buckets and tubing for them.

On a quick count, it looks like I'm going to be at around 85 taps, possibly as many as 100, this coming year. I have a Mason 3x2 evaporator with only one year's use on it. I mostly boil only on weekends.

Do I need to move to a bigger size and any recommendations as to what I should consider?

Thanks,

-Lazarus
20 taps in 2010; 85-100 in 2011
Silvers, reds, and sugars
Mason 3 x 2 evaporator

brookledge
10-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Well you are the one to answer your own question by how much time you can commit to boiling time. You also know how your trees run. In most cases the rule of thumb is 1 gal per tap per day on the average. So if you can only boil on weekends then be prepared to boil 600-700 gallons. take your boiling rate from your 2X3 and go from there.
It sounds like if you are going to have that many taps you are going to have to boil more frequently
Keith

spud
10-17-2010, 08:11 PM
I think a 2x6 would be great for you. With 100 taps on a good run you will be able to boil all your sap in 4-6 hours at 40 gallons per hour. :)

tuckermtn
10-17-2010, 08:16 PM
not sure about ohio silver maples, but some that I have tapped in the past were in the 3.5-4% sugar range- so you may not have to boil as much sap to make some syrup.

I too would steer you toward at least a 2x4 with a flue pan. 2x6 would be better if you can afford it. and again, these small-ish evaporators hold their value very well.

Lazarus
10-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for all the advice! Definitely sounds like I need to upsize. I have a weird question though... how do you load wood into a 2x4 or 2x6? The firebox in the 3 x 2 Mason is the size of the whole pan and has the door in the end, but how does it work in a longer one? No way you can chuck wood back six feet ... I admit that I don't really understand "flue pans" either, so maybe that has something to do with it?

I know this question is really dumb, but I'm in southern Ohio, and I can't wander down the street to the big producers and see their evaporators in action. The first and only one I ever saw in person was my little Mason when it showed up. :)

-Laz

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Look at the pictures in my photobucket account. The link for it is in my signature below and it should help explain things a lot more.

red maples
10-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks for all the advice! Definitely sounds like I need to upsize. I have a weird question though... how do you load wood into a 2x4 or 2x6? The firebox in the 3 x 2 Mason is the size of the whole pan and has the door in the end, but how does it work in a longer one? No way you can chuck wood back six feet ... I admit that I don't really understand "flue pans" either, so maybe that has something to do with it?

I know this question is really dumb, but I'm in southern Ohio, and I can't wander down the street to the big producers and see their evaporators in action. The first and only one I ever saw in person was my little Mason when it showed up. :)

-Laz

The fire still remains in the front or fire box the base fire will remain in the first 3rd of the evap on a 2x6. You will have enough draft to carry the flames through the flues ( raised or drop) the entire length of the pans. you fire it just the same as you did before. I Don't measure my wood perfectly but average is about 15-16 inches and just about as thick as the middle of my forearm I guess. unless you have pythons for arms!!! and depending on the day or evening or how well things are going I fill the firebox 2/3 full every approx 4 minutes. Sometimes I will fire 1/2 every 3 minutes and keep a few bigger logs that will burn a little longer when you have to well... when nature calls.... so you will go through some wood.

I am not familiar with silvers but If you will be up around 100 or so taps and especially if your boiling weekends, and plan to grow a bit more I would go with the 2x6 with a 4 ft flue pan. (7feet long overall with base stack) depending on model they will boil between 25 to 35 Gallons per hour as much as 40+ at a full boil if the stars are aligned perfectly. also with 100 taps you might want to set aside a few hours during the week to try to boil down a couple hundred gallons so your not overwelmed on the weekend and have a good sap week and break 700 gallons you would be boiling for min. 14 hrs on weekends.

red maples
10-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Look at the pictures in my photobucket account. The link for it is in my signature below and it should help explain things a lot more.

Wow your deer have some big racks down there!!!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Brad,

Thanks as they have all been killed on public land except the first one and all with a bow except the smallest. I am one of the few people alive that is dumb enough or stupid to hunt the way I do. Most of the areas I hunt, the mountains are straight up and down or close to it and I usually walk 1 to 1.5 hours or more in before daylight with all my clothes, gear and treestand on my back, stay 30' in air all day until dark and then pack everything back out including treestand sometimes gaining 1500' in elevation packing in to hunt in the mornings.

I am off from Nov 4th thru 20th to bowhunt this year, so hopefully I can get another one. Been tough year as my wife had back surgery 2.5 weeks ago and I haven't been able to get into woods at all to scout until this past Saturday working a ton of hours and trying to do most of things around house she normally does for past several months. She is doing much better, so hopefully I can get some days to rest my mind and body.