PDA

View Full Version : Truck cargo box?

sap seeker
10-17-2010, 02:32 PM
I apologize if this has been covered but could not find anything on it using the search function. Just completed a Sunday foliage ride with the family and saw an alum. diamond plate truck box on the side of the road for sale, cheap. Got me thinking about would it hold up as an evaporator if completely firebricked:?: I've seen alot of used narrow, long pans that would fit on it for sale and was curious. Certainly realize one of the steel cargo boxes would be better but had to ask. Thank you.

wnybassman
10-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Me thinks it was a long summer for you! lol :lol:

maple flats
10-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Maybe but it would be far from ideal. Aluminum imparts a metalic taste if something is left to heat in it too long. Making syrup concentrates that taste. (I have taste tested a friends syrup and my wife has too, We were gentle with our opinion but as soon as we got to the car the first thing we said was, Wow, that aluminum taste ruined some good syrup. Some people do use aluminum but soon graduate to SS. I wouldn't risk it but it MIGHT work.

tuckermtn
10-17-2010, 08:20 PM
just clarifying- you are looking to brick up a truck box and essentailly use the truck box as a frame for the arch? then put a set of stainless pans on top of the truck box/arch....

I am not sure how the aluminum would hold up to the heat (even if bricked) but that is an uneducated guess.

3rdgen.maple
10-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Indeed there was a thread posted last summer on this. Atleast I think it was last summer.

sap seeker
10-18-2010, 05:05 AM
just clarifying- you are looking to brick up a truck box and essentailly use the truck box as a frame for the arch? then put a set of stainless pans on top of the truck box/arch....

I am not sure how the aluminum would hold up to the heat (even if bricked) but that is an uneducated guess.

Exactly Tuckermtn - you guys are right, when you get bit by this maple bug, you get thinking all kinds of crazy thoughts. This was a pretty heavy duty one, not flimsy like some, oh well.....