PDA

View Full Version : New Sugar House in Ky

afretired
10-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Well, it's official. All I have left to do is finish, since we broke ground today on the sugar house. The plan is to pour a 24X24 concrete slab next week if it all works out as planned. Hopefully I can get it under roof in a couple of weeks. If you squinch your eyes when looking at the pictures you can just see it.

David

VT maple maker
10-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Sugaring in KY. When I think of sugaring KY doesnt usually come to mind but thats great. Good to see so many people from so many areas making maple syrup. Good luck with building the new sugar house, keep us posted with new pics

afretired
10-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Kyle
Your right, in fact until last winter I had never heard of it myself. We've got plenty of red and sugar maples to tap. Hopefully it will be a big succes, it's not like I imagine it is in Vermont, where there are sugar houses all up and down the road. If I can get everything pulled together I should be able to generate some interest in the community. Most people around here think I'm about half crazy anyway. It will be just one more thing for them to talk about. One last note; I checked out your photobucket, it's nice to see military members in their uniform, especially their class A's.

David

VT maple maker
10-18-2010, 02:14 AM
David,

Well being in that area could potentially work well for you. Im sure that the number of people in Kentucky who know what real maple syrup is or know the process of making it is very small compared to the larger maple producing states. That being said if you can get a large enough customer base who will spread the word to friends and family about your operation you could make some good money. I have an aunt that lives in NC and its just not as easy to get maple syrup that far south. Its possible to get but its not like Vermont where syrup is on a shelf at just about every store in the state. She buys from me and has several friends down there that love the stuff and keep coming back for more. That picture of me in my class A's was about 3 years ago I believe. Currently I am in Afghanistan, which is a real pain in the rear because I have plans for a lot more taps this year and a neighbor willing to lease me a decent sized sugar bush. I have a guy holding an SP-22 vacuum pump with a horizontal realeaser for me to buy when I get home. I still need to get all the lines up. January and February are going to be very busy but I love it.

afretired
10-27-2010, 06:58 AM
We have had rain for the last few days and it has held up pouring the concrete. I had the engineer from the local electric coop come out and design the tap coming to the sugar house. According to the coop rules the customer has to pay for the electric construction for any building under 720 sq ft. So my planned building of 24X24 was 576 sq ft. So I had to think real hard, pay a few thousand for the electrical construction or expand the sugar house to 24 X 30 and get the construction for free. I hate them tough decisions. I now have the lumber saw by one of the local Amish community. SO the plan is to pour the concrete tomorrow.

Dave

afretired
11-04-2010, 06:33 PM
I've been worried about how I will ever find enough time to get everything done in time for the sap flow. Well I had a little help last week on getting enough time. It's called reorganizing/no longer needed. So now I have plenty of time. So I guess I'm now in the self employed/unemployed category. I sure hope the syrup pays out.
We've had a good week this week on building my sugar house. I'm glad we've got about done with the 6X6 beams/posts. I had them sawn last week and the sap is almost dripping out of them.

David

220 maple
11-05-2010, 12:17 PM
How far is Greene County from Meade County, My sister lives in Brandonburg, Ky. and I try to make a visit once a year. I met a syrup maker in Meade County, His name is Paul Shultz(sp?). His camp is located in the community of Garrett, which is between Brandonburg and E-town.

Mark 220 Maple

afretired
11-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm about an hour south of E-town and a little farther from Brandenburg. My sister heard on the radio the other day that the extension office put out a public notice that there has been an increase in the interest in making maple syrup in KY. They are even going to offer a workshop in the next couple of weeks on the topic. According to the agenda it is going to be very basic. It's starting to get crowded with syrup makers here in KY, probably a dozen or so.:rolleyes:

David

Brokermike
11-05-2010, 08:45 PM
sorry to hear about the change in employment, it's a crazy economy for sure. I'm a young'in but a firm believer that if you do what you love it will all work out

Sugarmaker
11-06-2010, 08:42 AM
afretired,
Also sorry to hear about your job situation. Hopefully you will find something even better soon.
Have fun building and sugaring! Thanks for posting the pictures too! That's going to be a nice sugarhouse.

Regards,
Chris

afretired
11-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words. It was a real shock when it happened but after praying about it a plan came to mind. We had prepaired for this all our adult lives, and we will be alright. Monday if the weather is agreable we will get back on the sugar house. I would like to get the roof on it this week.

David

220 maple
11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
David,
I met some Amish from Kentucky last Fall at a tubing seminar in Penna., I believe they are located even further south of you? Hendersonville if I remember correctly. They picked up a RO machine on that trip. The last thing I heard about them was that they were considering becoming a dealer for Leader. If they did that will be good for all syrupmakers in KY if they keep extra supplies on hand.
If the state pushes maple you will push by WV I have only been able to locate 43 camps in West Virginia.
Good Luck with your Season.

Mark 220 Maple

afretired
11-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Here is the progress so far. Today I hope to get the rafters on cupola, and start on the floor joists for the loft.

David

Maplewalnut
11-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Fantastic. looks solid!

Maplewalnut
11-12-2010, 07:02 AM
And people wonder why barns are still standing for 100 years plus when the houses 'down the road' built probably 70 years later are falling apart. I'll take the slight bending and twisting of true rough sawn dimensional lumber over that kiln dried big box store crap anyday!

Nice job Alfretired

afretired
01-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Boy has it been slow going on getting the building done. It seems there are always something more important that needs to be done. Well anyway, Yesterday we finished putting the roof on, and today I put the windows in. Hopefully by the first of the week the sideing will be delivered and I can get it on in a few days.

David

Monster Maples
01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Very nice work!!! When do you figure on tapping down there?

afretired
01-07-2011, 07:54 PM
I wish I was ready now. Typically the temps have been in the 20s at night and about 40 during the day. But the best I can do to get ready will be in a couple of weeks.

David

Sugarmaker
01-07-2011, 08:15 PM
David,
Are you anywhere close to Bowling Green? We have a plant there. They are sometimes looking for folks.
Man that is going to be one nice sugar house! Love the heavy timber arch styles you have designed in.
Your temps sound just right to tap.

Chris

Thiems sugarshack
01-07-2011, 08:21 PM
That is one nice looking sugarhouse.Keep up the good work and update us with more pictures as you progress.

afretired
01-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Chris,
I'm about an hour north of Bowling Green. What kind of a plant is it, though I really ain't looking for a job yet, but I might have to after the sugar season.

David

afretired
01-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Here are a few more pictures I took this morning. I built the doors yesterday and put the floor down in the loft today. I plan to move my arch into the building tomorrow and then put the fire brick in it. Hopefully before the first of the week I can start cooking. The building isn't done but I'm running behind on the syrup. The sap is flowing all around me and I've got to get in on the action wheather the building is done or not.

David

waysidemaple
01-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Looks amazing! wonderful job!

3rdgen.maple
01-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Sweet looking sugarhouse. It looks plenty done enough to make syrup.

whalems
01-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Very nice!! That should serve very well for many years!:)

jasonl6
01-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Love the aeromatic cedar doors. Nice touch !

Jason

danno
01-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Holy wow! Beautiful sugar house! You've done yourself proud.

lastwoodsman
01-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Wow I agree I love the cedar doors!!!
Nice--
Woodsman

Maplebrook
01-27-2011, 10:56 AM
David,
Great looking place. I could live in that!
Darren

Fishgill
01-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Great looking Sugar House!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Got to be the best looking sugarhouse in KY! What size evaporator are you running and how many taps??

afretired
01-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Thank you every one for the kind words on my sugar house. It has really turned out nice. Up north I'm sure sugar houses are no big thing even though they are nice looking. But here in my area it's an oddity. It really has everone talking. As for my evaporator, it is 27 inches wide and 8 ft long.

David

Sugarmaker
01-29-2011, 08:51 AM
David,
Wow again! The almost finished project looks great! A real beautiful sugar house! Cant wait to see some steam rising and some friends and family enjoying it too.
Regards,
Chris

nace
02-03-2011, 07:45 AM
looks terriffic ! i would like to come up and ckeck it out. did you go to federal grove's maple syrup festival last year and have you thought about having one yourself ? lee had several "ky proud" producers set up in a large tent, candels, soaps, jellies and such...can't remember everything but it was nice for his first festival and something like that wouldn't be hard for you to pull off. have a great season...nace

afretired
02-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Nace
I didn't get a chance to go to Federal Grove, I heard all the ads they had on the radio last year. I would like to get down there and check it out. They have a nice video on youtube that the KY extension office put out. I've registered for the KY proud program to sell my honey and syrup it it works out. I don't think I'm ready for a festival yet. If you get a chance come up, I'm actually in Pierce which is about 30 miles north of Glasgow on HWY 218. I'm around most of the time.

David