PDA

View Full Version : CDL vs Lapierre

mapleack
10-15-2010, 09:08 AM
I've decided to go the route of a new RO instead of used, ideally to not have reliability concerns. I'm looking at a 250 gph unit from CDL and the old style 250 turbo from Lapierre. The price quotes are within several hundred dollars of each other. I've got a lapierre dealer about 60 miles away, no cdl dealers. I believe the cdl unit has a built in wash tank and output valves, the lapierre has a separate wash tank, possibly no valves. How does the quality compare between these units. Which one would you buy? Why? Thanks for your help with this decision, I don't want to spend this much money and regret it!

maplecrest
10-15-2010, 10:05 AM
your r/o goes down who will help you get it up and running?? is the big question you should think about when getting an r/o. ask the dealer 60 miles away. if he says you are on your own then it does not matter. both units are about the same. compare the high pressure pumps see if same size. and what are the membranes in each one?mark1 or xle4040 or nf 270?

maplwrks
10-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Andy- I may be wrong, but I think that Lapierre sends a wash tank with every RO. They don't have a tank mounted on the frame though. I would call Tom Patterson at Lapierre USA and ask.

mapleack
10-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Mike, I just discovered that. Lapierre units do come with a prefilter and wash tank, they just aren't mounted on the unit. I know you own a lappiere, but which would you buy now? The cdl is about $300 cheaper, not counting valves I'd have to buy to use the lapierre.

maplwrks
10-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I would still buy a Lapierre, although they are very similar. Christian Chabot (owner of CDL) and Donald Lapierre were in business together and developed the maple ro known as the Lapierre. They parted ways a while ago and CDL came out with their RO. The only real difference is the recirculation system, and they are very similar.

mapleack
10-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks to those who replied, it's now a moot question. I just placed an order for the the Lapierre turbo 250. Now I've got alot of work to do getting the sugarhouse ready!!

Thad Blaisdell
10-15-2010, 03:21 PM
I can tell you this, I have had a wonderful experience with CDL and the RO I got from them. I ordered a 3 phase RO and they sent me a single phase.... I did not know, I hitched it up the day sap was running and burned up the magnetic switches in it.... something to do with putting the third hot wire where the second ground was supposed to go, go figure, looked like the third hot to me. When the tech came down to fix it the next day, he said What the BLEEEEEEP, this is single phase,,,,,, ohhhhhh noooooo. So anyway we took off the hot line that was wrong and connected the ground. Started it up, not enough amps to run it, we cooked the two circ pumps and the high pressure pump motor was hot enough to cook eggs on. Unsure of what to do I suggested running a wire from the house to the RO. CDL paid 1200.00 for number 2 copper wire (270 feet) and all the pieces needed to make the connection. Hitched it up and off and running. At the end of the season they came and took that one and just delivered me a brand new 3 phase RO. How do you beat that for service.

Sugarmaker
10-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Thad,
That is one nice sugarhouse! Nice to have all that room. Thanks for posting the pictures.
That one boy in the PJ's is a spittin image of you:)

Regards,
Chris

brookledge
10-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Andy
I say you did the right thing. As long as your dealer is good about coming to the sugarhouse and go over everything with you and set it up. That is what I'd expect and is what I got.
For me I bought a CDL and the dealer was very good answered all my questions and helped me with the initial set up. It is not something to have breakdown and have to wait along time to get answers.
So enjoy your Lapierre.

markcasper
10-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Are you sure you got a big enough one? A 600 gph one does not cost that much more and would offer room for some expansion.

mapleack
10-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Mark, I think the RO will be big enough for now, but I may have to trade up in a couple years. I would've liked to get a 600, but the extra 3 grand was out of reach. I should be good right now, but I would like to expand to about 2,000 taps, so I figure let the 250gph RO pay for itself, then sell it and buy a 600 when I have more taps.