PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Pan

Rockwood
10-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Has anyone had any experience with WEGNER METAL WORKS finisher pans.

Any problems, how's the quality etc..

http://www.wegnermetalworks.com/products?category=Finishing+Pan

Thanks

Dan W
10-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I have one. It is just a plain Jane pan with no fancy ribbing like others I've seen, but it works just fine. Andy does top notch work. I recently had an outer pan made to set this one in and now I have a water jacketed canner. Can't wait to use it!!!

Rockwood
10-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the info. I hadn't taught of a water jacket for the finisher, may I inquire as to the cost?

I take it that you are using the finisher for both finishing and bottling.

So my question is after the initial filtration out of the evaporator, then into the finisher. Do you filter again into what.. then back into the finisher with the water jacket setup to reheat for bottling?

Thanks again

Dan W
10-15-2010, 03:35 PM
I draw off the evaporator a little heavy. When I get 5 gallons, I adjust the density by diluting with pre-heat condensate that I have saved just for that. Then bring back to almost a boil and run through the filter press directly into the finishing pan to bottle. I don't like the attention required of the fire to maintain the correct temperature for bottling. That is why I went to a water jacket-set the temp and it should maintain the syrup temp regardless of the level in the canner.

heus
10-15-2010, 04:47 PM
I have a 15x15 finisher from Mr. Wegner. Good product for the price. Not fancy, shiny stainless but stainless just the same.

Rockwood
10-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Am I going over board by doing this, I filter out of the evaporator, then into the finisher, filter again then back into the finisher with the water jacket setup to reheat for bottling?

tuckermtn
10-17-2010, 08:03 PM
you are right- you need to filter a final time after your "finish" your syrup by getting to the correct density- that is if you draw off a little light. This because if you cook it a little more to "finish" it, then more niter will be present in the finished syrup. If you draw off heavy and filter right off the evap. you can get away with it.

until we got a filter press last year, we had a two pan finisher set-up - one up on the counter top with a long (12" stainless pipe) spout that would allow you to gravity feed the hot finished syrup through the flat paper and orlon filter placed on a filter rack in to the same sized pan which was on a turkey fryer burner. We would jug out of the lower unit.

we have two leader 16x16 pans.

looking this year to get a bigger finishing pan and possibly set it up on a two turkey fryer burner.