PDA

View Full Version : How about this forced air setup?

heus
10-14-2010, 07:47 AM
I was looking at the Northern Tool catalog and they have an 8" inline duct fan that moves 275 cfm for $60 or $70. How do you think this would work as a forced air unit? I was thinking about running 8" ducting from this into the back of my firebox. Will this unit move enough air since it is not a squirrel cage blower like the woodsaver unit?

Sugarmaker
10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Yes for the size of rig this should work well.

Chris

I was looking at the Northern Tool catalog and they have an 8" inline duct fan that moves 275 cfm for $60 or $70. How do you think this would work as a forced air unit? I was thinking about running 8" ducting from this into the back of my firebox. Will this unit move enough air since it is not a squirrel cage blower like the woodsaver unit?

xyz5150
10-14-2010, 01:20 PM
I bought a 6" version years ago from northern to boost air in a duct off my wood stove it made hardly no difference in a 20' run. I don't think you can beat a squirrel cage fan for air volume. I used a dayton 1tdp7 blower its the same blower we use on heatmor odwb i believe its about 250 cfm's. I think you can buy it from grangers for about $80.00.

Gary R
10-15-2010, 05:59 AM
I have a 6" one feeding my air over fire. It works well. I have to turn it down because of too much air. I'm sure that all fans are not created equal. Mine was salvage out of an industrial setting. I have not been impressed with the "cheap stuff".