PDA

View Full Version : Sap collection tank

danno
10-12-2010, 03:55 PM
I need a larger collection tank. Currently have 400 gal. and am looking to replace it with a 1000 gallon to go under the releaser. I figure a closed SS milk tank is going to cost me near the same as a new open SS Dallaire round bottom. My current tank is open.

So, what do you guys prefer - closed or open. Gotta figure the open tank is easier to clean, but harder to keep debris and clutter out of. Any other pros/cons? Also, if you have either around that size and are looking to sell, let me know.

nhmaple48
10-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Sap will be cooler in an open top tank.We have a 1000 tap woods with a 1250 gal. milk tank with top removed under a building.Sap is better than what comes out of a 4000 gal truck tank. Both woods are on vac. Heat disipates better out of the open tank.

Dennis H.
10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Now if the closed milk tank is insulated I would think that it would help to keep the cool sap cool longer than and open tank. Right?

ennismaple
10-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Now if the closed milk tank is insulated I would think that it would help to keep the cool sap cool longer than and open tank. Right?

Not necessarily - the sap can be quite warm coming into the tank. An open top allows it to cool to ambient air temp. A closed (e.g. Zero) tank will keep the heat from dissapating. The insulation works against you more than for you.

Bucket Head
10-12-2010, 09:18 PM
I know some folk's who have open tanks but have the cover's/lid's (myself included) and they put a small piece of wood under the cover(s) so their just open a little bit, so whatever heat there is can escape but rain water can not get in.

Steve

tuckermtn
10-13-2010, 04:26 AM
open top is my choice- easier to clean. pop the tops open to let them cool on a cold night.

mapleman3
10-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Thats what I do on the warmer days if I have to store over night... leave the tops open wide!

sfsshadow
10-21-2010, 07:57 PM
we have 4, 1000gl closed top tanks.they are a pain to clean, and its hard to get a releaser to dump into them.plus, im getting to fat to fit in the hole