PDA

View Full Version : Magic Tree

Maplewalnut
10-11-2010, 12:29 PM
We were called to do a maple syrup demonstration at a local state park as part of their fall festival which included blacksmiths, bee keepers, broom making etc. Any way thought I would share an idea I did for anyone looking to help explain syrup making/tree tapping especially to children.

I cut a three foot section of hollow maple that had snapped in half a wind storm or two ago. In the hollow inside I put a section of 4 inch PVC with a cap on the bottom and secured it inside the tree. I then drilled a 7/16ths hole thru the tree all the way into the pvc (towards bottom) Then snake a piece of semirigid tubing through the hole into the pvc. Seal the hole in the pvc around the tubing. Attach the other end of the tubing to a tap and hammer into tree. Hang a bucket off your tap, fill the PVC with water and watch it drip. You'll probably have to obstruct the tap to a point where you only get drip...drip..drip (gum works).

Kids loved seeing the "magic tree" drip and you'll be surprsed how many parents comment that they can't believe a section of tree that small is still dripping :)

Mike

BryanEx
10-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Great idea for anyone doing exhibits or demonstrations... especially out of season. Thanks for sharing Mike.

Hurry Hill Farm
10-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Very interesting idea. Another successful way to "tap" a tree is getting your hands on a "dripper" from a bird store (something like Wild Birds Unlimited or an independent store). They have a small dripper (birds are apparently attracted to dripping water?) with long lengths of tubing attached. I drilled through the tree and ran the black pipe up overhead. A small handle/shutoff controls the dripping and the water supply can be far from the tap. I put the end in a 7/16" rolled alum tap and it works really well.

Hurry Hill Maple Farm Museum in Edinboro PA

ps.Like we say......." the sap runs year round at Hurry Hill!"

sapman
10-14-2010, 06:48 PM
I made a dripping spout by using an IV bag and the dripper. The little squeeze valve works really well at controlling the frequency.