PDA

View Full Version : Monoblock in an arch.

Brent
10-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Leader has finally put some manuals on line. They're very dated, still refering to soldered pans, but this is better than nothing.

I was reading the installation of an Inferno arch and they suggest that using Monoblock would be good and make bricking easier. I've googled monoblock and used the search tool here and come up empty.

What are they talking about ???

Sugarmaker
10-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Brent,
Not a clue? Could it be a type of brick that really is'nt brick but very fire proof? Maybe Google kilns ???

Chris

Brent
10-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I think I need to call Fred or Bruce to see what they were talking about.

brookledge
10-11-2010, 06:57 AM
I think monoblock is a term used for interlocking brick. So you would still use firebrick just having the joints in the middle of the lower course so that the joints are staggered. which is the common way of bricking.
So it is just a fancy way of saying what most already do
But I could be wrong maybe someone else can confirm
Keith

Brent
10-11-2010, 08:21 AM
They do suggest alternating the centers of the bricks but I think they have something else in mind when the call for monoblock.

Here is a quote from the bricking section

==============
Now lay the bricks in the arch without any cement in order to see what bricks need to be cut and assure the correct alignment. It is recommended that you rent a masonry saw from your local equipment rental facility in order to cut any bricks necessary. Another recommended item which will make bricking the arch much easier is the use of mono-block. Using the 1 ½ inch mono-block under the bricks on the outside of the wall from the top of the incline back will make the bricking process much easier. With the mono-block under a 9 inch brick there should be a snug fit on the side wall under the rail.
Two things to remember while laying the bricks are to break the joints of the bricks as shown in figure A-1.

======================

Dennis H.
10-11-2010, 07:31 PM
It almost sounds like arch board???