PDA

View Full Version : 5/16 end fittings

PATheron
10-09-2010, 03:57 PM
The end fittings that go to the last tree. There isnt any good reason why the ones you use that you put the last drop right on it are bad to use with vac is there. Its pretty handy to be able to unhook. Only bad thing is the sap has to go around the tree but no harm really with the vac system? I know some of you guys didnt care for them with gravity but its just becouse it wont flow that good gravity? Theron

Homestead Maple
10-09-2010, 06:24 PM
There's a small section of that tubing at the end of the line that contains sap, that never leaves the tubing. So that sap sits there and eventually turns bad and makes lots of bacteria. Unless you are putting your last tap for the lateral at the very end of what you wrap around the tree?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-09-2010, 06:36 PM
That's why I solely use a "Y" for the first tree on a lateral line. That way I have drainage on both sides of the trees. I want to try some of the new Lappierre fittings as I think they have a line that has to travel all around the tree and if so, I would just use a cap on it.

Homestead Maple
10-09-2010, 06:51 PM
http://www.mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=1171&d=1264517676

I use this type of set up.

tuckermtn
10-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I 'm with Brandon on this one- the Y fittings are the way to go for me.

vtmaplemaker
10-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Lapierre slide fittings are the way to go, fastest install, no cut in connections for leaks, and no dead space in the tubing..

red maples
10-10-2010, 07:37 AM
thats what I am gonna which over to this year. there is a Utube video on here I will see if I can find it. I know the maple guys sell the hook connector adapter piece for the end tree. I and I am also switching them out at the wire as well.

Here's the you tube link:

Easy!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y3KPIvlyZc

the best thing is less fittings to leak, easy take down, easy to put up, no tools needed. anytime there are less fitting is always better!!!!

Thad Blaisdell
10-10-2010, 11:24 AM
After discussing this with several other people I chose not to use the slide fitting at the upper end. As squirrels tend to chew on the part that goes around the tree I would rather use the hook and the "T" with the dead end toward the hook that way if a squirrel chews on that end it wont really matter. I am using the slides at the wire though, I like them a lot so far.

Amber Gold
10-10-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm using hollow core rope at both ends. It's cheap, easy install, easy removal, and easy adjustment.

Question I have using the rope is should the sap flow straight into the saddle or should I put the little hoop in it before it enters the saddle so it's easier to check for vac. leaks. The hoop creates a pocket of sap to freeze and grow bacteria.