PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Prices?

Thompson's Tree Farm
10-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Any recent info on prices being paid for bulk syrup? Who is and isn't buying at this time? Thanks
Doug

tuckermtn
10-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Doug- all I know is I was quoted $3.05 a lb for buying Dark A bulk from Bascoms

someone said the 60 barrels of vermont syrup that was posted on here was sold within a few days- so things are moving.

tuckermtn
10-19-2010, 05:27 PM
sold my commercial grade syrup at Bascoms for 2.15/lb.

Bought dark at 3.05/lb.

easy transaction- they even took the time to dump my stainless soda kegs while I waited and hot rinsed them out to boot.

One work of caution- make sure you ask to "tare out" (weight your containers empty) if it does not have a tare weight labeled on it. On Bascom's tare sheet they have next to their scale they listed "5 gal. soda kegs" weighing 11 lbs. each. That didn't seem right to me- so we put one on the scale at it weighed 6 lbs.
So for the 5 kegs I was turning in, that would have decreased the syrup total by 25 lbs.

I don't think anything intentionally deceiving was going on- just a word of caution to make sure the numbers make sense.

-Eric

maple flats
10-19-2010, 06:41 PM
I found the same thing when I sold to them 2 yrs ago. They wanted to use their chart but I asked them to weigh the empties. I had delivered 8 soda kegs and I gained 41 lbs of syrup when they re weighed. At the $3.00 I was getting that was $123 in my pocket. It might be an innocent thing but I doubt they thought the empties were 11# ea. The only thing I removed from the original keg was all but about 3/4" of the dip tube which would only weigh a small fraction of a lb.