PDA

View Full Version : ReTightening Tubing

nymapleguy607
10-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Hey everyone, Just as the title says what is the best way to retighten 5/16 lateral lines? I have some pieces that loosened up when the weather warmed up and also a few places where limbs have knocked it down. I wanted to see how everyone else approaches this problem.
Thanks
Jeff

PARKER MAPLE
10-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I learned a new approach last season with lats that were knocked down with limbs and whatever. hallow core braided rope. feed the tubing throught the core of the rope and works like a chinesse figure grip. then leave enough to tye it off to the end tree. works great. I believe most hardware stores carry it. its cheap and comes in a roll of like 100-200 ft. hope this helps

powerdub
10-07-2010, 05:58 PM
I use the hollow core rope at both ends that way you tighten from either end. it just makes it a little quicker saves me a lot of up and down the hill. Im not getting any younger.

BradWilson
10-07-2010, 06:56 PM
How tight is too tight when stretching the lateral? Getting ready to hang all new laterals with end rings. While we're on the subject. What kind of grade to laterals need? I'll be on vac so....... Will the vac pull sap in a lateral at 0 grade, slightly uphill (approx 2-3 degrees)?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-07-2010, 08:30 PM
You really can't get it too tight and when it is good and tight, you will know. Pull it good and tight and with 2 or 3 percent, you will be fine. You can even side tie the lateral lines for support if neccessary or use the tubing supports as they work good to support long runs and a small nail in a junk tree won't hurt anything. I use small stainless ring shank nails and pull them out if I ever take it down.

Maplewalnut
10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
You really can't get it too tight

Brandon
Not sure if you use rigid or semi for lats but be careful with semi. You can definitely pull it too tight especially when weaving in and out of trees. I have already attached my two handed tool to cut in drops and cut the lateral only to see both ends go flying because one side or the other was streched too small and did not hold in the tool. I've had this discussion with Theron and showed him proof. It will stretch to a diameter that definitely is not 5/16th!

sapman
10-07-2010, 11:07 PM
I had two or three times last year pulling on 30P where it shrunk right down to nothing. One broke I think. I think it mostly happened where I was going around a tree. But still, I think there must have been a weakness in those rolls.

maple flats
10-08-2010, 05:05 AM
I agree, only pull it so it does not sag. As you retighten older tubing by either side tie or the more common method of cutting it off a fitting, installing a NEW fitting and then remove som tubing to tighten and re install, you will find that tubing does lose diameter if you over tighten. I have broken an occasional one too by pulling too hard.

red maples
10-08-2010, 07:54 AM
one thing that I am looking forward to this year is slide fitting I am switching out the wire hook connectors and end rings for the lapierre end line slides. they seem to make things much much easier!!! you need to tighten unclip the slide and pull. taking down a tree. unclip lay it down. all done pull and clip.

ennismaple
10-08-2010, 11:19 AM
one thing that I am looking forward to this year is slide fitting I am switching out the wire hook connectors and end rings for the lapierre end line slides. they seem to make things much much easier!!! you need to tighten unclip the slide and pull. taking down a tree. unclip lay it down. all done pull and clip.

You'll like them. They are very efficient and with no additional fittings to leak or cause a constriction of the tubing you get better vacuum to the tree.

red maples
10-08-2010, 04:46 PM
excellent. I watched the video on Utube and they seem really easy to use. and yes less fittings!!!

I ordered a bunch but need more. for some reason when I am in the woods I loose count. like when I was marking trees to tap last year and thought I had about 180 tagged and ended up with 300 HA!

Thad Blaisdell
10-08-2010, 05:17 PM
I am using them also this year, but only on the mainline end. I am still going to use the CDL hook on the end with the T that has the one dead side. This will give me quite a diverse line. I will have the Lapierre slide, the CDL hook end and the leader CV adapter and spout.

red maples
10-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I am using them also this year, but only on the mainline end. I am still going to use the CDL hook on the end with the T that has the one dead side. This will give me quite a diverse line. I will have the Lapierre slide, the CDL hook end and the leader CV adapter and spout.

I think we all do I have lappierre super sadles, right now lappierre treesavers spouts, I forget which endline ring I have but switching to the lapierre end line slides. and have the cdl hooks too. but will all be leader and lapierre.

I saw 2 new taps in the maple digest. big al's sap sucker. aluminum anodized, boil and bleech to sanitize. and the new CDL tap. the smart spout..I don't get it. the only thing I really see is the 150 degree angle. which is good.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I have nearly all rigid tubing. I have a lot of Beaver River from 2003 and that stuff is awesome. Wall thickness on it is incredible and it is very durable. Since then, most of it is Lappierre rigid translucent. I have up a few rolls of 30p and I hate it, worst tubing for keeping clean there is.