PDA

View Full Version : Help.

BradWilson
10-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Just put up 480 ft of 3/4 in mainline on high tension line. It's taken me 4 days to take the old stuff down, clear a new run, hang the steel and the tube. I didn't think it was too bad for my first attempt. Here's where I need the help. How the h@#$ do you unroll the mainline. There's no snow and it won't fit on my wire jenny. It was a huge pain in the whowho to unroll the line, stretch it out, walk back up the hill unroll some more stretch it out, you get the idea, for 480 ft. I won't get another pair of hands till Friday so any and all suggestions will be considered. I might add that all said and done, my new line looks pretty **** sweet. Thanks in advance.

Randy Brutkoski
10-06-2010, 08:26 PM
There are 2 ways to do it. You can roll it like a tire , just tie it off where it starts so you can keep some kind of tension on the 3/4 inch. Thats what i did for years but it is actually easier to just put a stake in the ground, put the roll flat down on the ground around the stake and grab the end of the pipe and just walk along your high ten. wire where you want it. If thats what you are asking. Good luck.

brookledge
10-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Without a spool to unroll it it becomes a little more difficult. One thing that I'd recommend is hook the beginning and push the roll along the ground unrolling as you go. If you don't unroll it and let it just pull off the coil it will end up with twist in the main line
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I do the same as Randy and it is easy. Wouldn't think it would be much of an issue with less than 500' but might be more work if you were doing a few thousand feet. I always secure the end of the mainline to where it is going to start or end good and go from there.

Randy Brutkoski
10-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Try doing 1 1/4 for your wet and 1 1/2 for your dry, its no nice walk in the park.

ennismaple
10-06-2010, 11:56 PM
If you can - pull downhill. The tips on unrolling are good ones and will work for you.

BradWilson
10-07-2010, 05:19 AM
I knew I'd get some good ideas. Thanks all. It's raining today so maybe that will help a little. Can't wait to get back at it. Will post some pics soon.

Thad Blaisdell
10-07-2010, 05:52 AM
You can always unroll it in an easier spot and pull it up/down through the woods to where you need it. That may be easier if you are on a side hill.

Father & Son
10-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Check this link from TSC. Another trader told me this was how he unrolled his mainline. Anchor one end at your start point then just walk the path of your wire. Best with snow on the ground but works anytime.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/fencing-tools/roll-a-bob-trade-wire-dispenser-3609641

Jim

Haynes Forest Products
10-07-2010, 08:21 AM
That will work fine for wire that has a small center like barbed wire. But is a nightmare for mainline wire and poly pipe. All it does is kink it:mad:

Father & Son
10-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Hayne, I agree, the weight of a roll of wire would make it impossible to drag it through the woods. I used it for tubing with good luck but I'm on a very small scale compared to most. TSC also sells a wire dereeler that I used for the hi-tensile.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/electric-fencing/high-tensile-electric-fence-accessories/wire-spinning-jenny-dereeler-with-brake-3601318

Jim

BradWilson
10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Rolling did the trick until it got crossed up and tied itself in a knot. No kinks but took some time to untie. Stretched it all out and walked the twists out of it. Was going to start the last lay out this afternoon but the high tension line I put up two days ago pulled over one of my anchor trees (more rotten than it looked I guess). Like I said, ill have some help tomorrow and the weather is supposed to clear up.

Amber Gold
10-07-2010, 04:15 PM
F&S, I also use that tool, but find it works well in the snow, but is more of a hassle otherwise. I find the roll doesn't move well on dry ground and it'll kink the pipe.

If I'm by myself, I'll anchor one end and unroll. If I have a helper, the roll stays stationary and I'll unroll it manually while the other person goes for a walk. I find by unrolling it vs. feeding out three loops then turning the roll over, there are no twists in the mainline.

marc
10-07-2010, 06:12 PM
What I did this year with 1000 foot rolls of 3/4 tubing was to stand the tubing between 2 trees 4-6 feet apart, then i put a heavy duty rachet strap through a 3 foot peice of pvc pipe through the roll and racheted the tubing of the ground, grabed the end and pulled the lengh of my main lines. It unrolled very easy. no kink or twists. This is my first year with tubing so its all new to me. One other thing, the inside end needs to be taped to itself or it will catch on the pipe as it comes around. Once the roll is down to managable size I just tied the end off and hand unrolled it as I walked for my sidelines.

BradWilson
10-07-2010, 06:51 PM
My first attempt was trying to use one fork on the tractor. Too square. But I bet if I slid a piece of PVC over it I'd get the same results as marc. HMMMM, might try that tomorrow. I will attest to the fact that the inside end needs to be taped. I think that's one of the reasons I ended up with such a knot.