PDA

View Full Version : New Firebox design idea

nymapleguy607
10-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey Guys,
I have another idea I want to run by you. I am currently working on building a new arch for the upcoming season. I plan on building it to have high pressure over fire and under fire air. My idea is to add a second set of air nozzles slightly above the floor of the arch and to angle these up into the lower part of the fire. This second set would help feed the middle and sides of the fire as well as create more turbulence. If you were to look through the door the upper and lower nozzles would be like a "x" shape. What are your guys thoughts on this? I haven't sold myself on this idea yet and would like some other opinions.
Thanks
Jeff

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-04-2010, 07:48 PM
What benefit are they going to be?? Guess I can't understand why you would want to if you have high pressure thru the grates and above the fire, what good would nozzles down on the floor under the grates be??

nymapleguy607
10-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I would have high pressure air through the floor then a row of air down each side along the bottom as well as 2 rows above the fire my thought is that this might help create more spin in the firebox.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Maybe, but this is close to equivalent of putting air under the fire and would increase under fire air and cause wood to burn much faster. I am sure it would probably increase evap rate some, be interesting to see how it works. May be a good idea, but would need a way to control the air going into it.

Companies outside of the maple industry that run billion dollar burners strive for 80% above the fire and 20% under the fire and you can bet they have tried about everything possible in combinations of air flow. The maple industry has just caught on to what others have been doing for many, many years.

twofer
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Companies outside of the maple industry that run billion dollar burners strive for 80% above the fire and 20% under the fire and you can bet they have tried about everything possible in combinations of air flow. The maple industry has just caught on to what others have been doing for many, many years.

+1

There seems to be a lot of focus on increasing turbulence in the firebox which does help with efficiency but the biggest factor is the introduction of oxygen to the correct stage of combustion. This is the reason that the majority of air is introduced over the fire. The combustion gases that occupy that space have enough heat to combust but they are lacking oxygen because it has been absorbed by the primary combustion occurring on the grates. These gases are normally passed out the flue without realizing their full BTU potential.

I'm kind of a wood burning efficiency nerd. :)