PDA

View Full Version : Identify These Trees?

CitySlicker
10-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Ok - I have a few types of maples on my property.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/jkattef/CIMG3148.jpg

From top to bottom, I think they are sugar, red, and swamp? The lower right one has me kinda stumped.. Here's a closeup:

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/jkattef/CIMG3149.jpg

Can you identify this? Is it another tree disguised as a maple? In the absence of better options, can I tap this tree?

thanks

red maples
10-03-2010, 10:32 AM
the lower one is a red too!!! swamp maples and reds are the same just another name for them. they are also called soft maples. I have some smaller leaves on reds that have that shape of leaf. actually the lower one looks a little like poison ivy. poison ivy leaves have a many different shapes. Tap it!!! unless it poison ivy:rolleyes:

maple flats
10-03-2010, 11:43 AM
The lower one is not poison ivy, but is somewhat similar to poison ivy. Poison Ivy is the same shape but L is about 2x W, and it turns red but does not get the color in your picture. You look to have, top to bottom, sugar, red and immature red. Reds are sometimes a swamp maple but so are silvers. A silver has very deep cuts or valleys in the leaf shape.

red maples
10-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I was just kidding about the poison ivy. But the bottom one is a red I think it is just an small leave beacuse I have many large reds that have both the sugar looking leaf and the smaller rounded leaf on the same tree.

Cardigan99
10-03-2010, 06:20 PM
City, the last one is either a red or a striped maple. check the bark, if it's greenish with black stripes it's a striped maple. otherwise if the bark is gray it's a red.

bobsklarz
10-03-2010, 07:43 PM
I wanna know HOW you post those pics???:confused:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-04-2010, 06:25 AM
When you do a post, go down past submit to additional options and manage attachments!

red maples
10-04-2010, 06:35 AM
City, the last one is either a red or a striped maple. check the bark, if it's greenish with black stripes it's a striped maple. otherwise if the bark is gray it's a red.

aren't the striped maple leaves huge!!! I think they they about 5 times bigger no?

Cardigan99
10-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Red, Yes, Striped Maples usually have pretty big leaves for the most part. As a rule they turn yellow in the fall but I've seen a cpl orange ones. Either way, usually a very small tree. Biggest one I've seen is like 5 inches in dia.

TF Maple
10-11-2010, 09:27 AM
I wonder if maple trees crossbreed and then the leaves might look different. For example, the silver maples in my yard don't have silver on the underside of the leaves, but they do have the deep notches. And they also don't spread and grow all over like a patch of weeds.

C.Wilcox
10-11-2010, 10:56 AM
CitySlicker- Was that last leaf definitely off a tree or could it have been from a shrub? I only ask because it looks like a Viburnum species, particularly a Squashberry.

40to1
10-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks for posting those photos.
I have a maple with leaves similar to your third leaf.
Drove me crazy trying to ID it.

To add another twist, the branch/spread looks a bit like that of a silver maple. (sigh).

I tap it (buckets). Some years are better than others and the sugar % can be low.