PDA

View Full Version : Gravity taps

PARKER MAPLE
10-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Im wondering if I jumped up to 7/16 taps from the 5/16 taps I used last season if I would see an increase in sap. Has anybody experienced this, wich one would work better for me. Im also redoing my main line this fall to shorten up the long runs that my lateral line are making now. they will be shorter runs with not as many taps on each run. should get the sap in the main line faster im thinking.

What do you think

Maple Rookie

PATheron
10-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Youll get more sap with the 7/16 on gravity. Only thing is it will take quite a while for them to heal, probly 2 or 3 years so take it easy on the trees and only tap the big ones and go light on them. Buckets will give you the most sap and your gravity tube will work just fine with real long heavily loaded laterals. If you tap the smaller trees put the 5/16 in them. 8" minimum on the 5/16, 10-12" minimum on the 7/16 trees and two taps only if you cant reach around and touch your hands on the big trees. Theron

PARKER MAPLE
10-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the great info, I think were are on the same track. What im wondering also is would the heavy sap load help the flow if I had like 10-12 on a lateral line apposed to say 5-6.

M.R

TRAILGUY
10-02-2010, 05:56 PM
up to 50 taps on over 20% SLOPE and max 25 taps on 5% slope more natural vacuum if the lines get full there was a real good study back in the 70's

TapME
10-03-2010, 07:45 AM
There is info out there about the 5/16 and 7/16 taps out there. I have it here and the study and I believe Dr. Tim had something to do with it says, that you loose only 7-9% when you drop to 5/16 from 7/16 taps. The study goes on to state that there should be more taps on gravity tubing to create some natural vacuum on the line. So more taps on the line on gravity and the small taps so the trees can heal quicker. Just my 2 cents

wkies
10-03-2010, 11:39 AM
I have about 100 taps on gravity. I'm switching over to new 5/16 Leader check value taps from 7/16 taps. My thought is that by replacing each tip annually AND preventing any sap from reentering the hole I may make up for the change in size by decreasing bacteria growth.

It also will be better for the trees!!!!

Revi
10-04-2010, 04:22 AM
We have always used 5/16" taps with our gravity system. Some of the trees heal up completely in a couple of years. It's hard to see where you tapped. It's the way to go if you want to do as little damage to the tree as possible. We still get lots of sap.