PDA

View Full Version : Dampers in oil fired units

Quabbin Hill Farms
10-01-2010, 07:27 AM
I have a 18"x 7' homemade arch with 18"x4' back pan 5" drop flues and a 3 ' front pan. I am currently using a 3 gal an hour nozzel. I have a woodstove damper in the flue pipe that I leave open when I start up but slowly close as things heat up. I close the damper to the point where I see light puffs of smoke comimg out of the arch, then open it a bit. I do see an increase in the amount of boiling. My back flue pan still does not fully come to a rolling boil though. Does anyone know if this damper has the same effect as a barometric damper that are typically installed in oil fired systems. I know dampers aren't a good idea in wood units as you want ot get the flames to lick as far back as you can. Thoughts anyone? Thanks Greg.

Greg Morin
10-02-2010, 05:49 AM
As with any oilfired unit draft regulation is crucial to keep the flame on the retention head,you should really install a draft regulator this will keep the draft semi constant probably -.04 "wc between the evap and the draft regulator is what you want.

maple flats
10-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't use oil, but at one seminar I attended, someone asked the presenter about oil and dampers. The presenter said you always need at least one barometric and some even need 2 barometrics to run properly. Unfortunately I don't remember who the presenter was. I have been to several, could have been Glen Goodrich, Brad ? (from Leader) or any of several others who's seminars I have attended.