PDA

View Full Version : Mainlines too low.

bison1973
09-29-2010, 07:54 PM
I want to add VAC to my existing gravity tubing system. But here's the problem. I originally configured the mainlines to empty in 100 gallon stock tanks. Therefore they are too low if I were to put in a mechanical releaser sitting on top of the tank. It's been sugested to me I could either raise my lines (a big pain in the but!) or bury my collection tank. I've also been told I could put in a sap ladder before the tank (I plan on getting a liquid ring pump). Anyone have any experience with any of these?

What are my option for releasers? What is the distance I'd have to either raise lines or bury tank based on type of releaser (I'm assuming horizontal would require the least amount of alterations)?

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

maple flats
09-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Sounds like what I had to do the last time I expanded. I raised the mainline on the bottom 30-40' of line. I had to go up about 18-20" and I just put a new anchor loop around the anchor tree at the desired height and I pulled the new tight to the old about 10' away from the tree using a fince stretcher. I had new crimp sleeves on the new anchor line and then I cut the old, slid the cut end into the sleeves and crimped them. (I use a crimp tool and crimp sleves to make all support wire connections) Then I slid the laterals entering the main on this section up as needed. Next I re tightened with side ties and everything was good to go, If this line had not been installed before I started using side ties I could have gotten enough elevation gain by releasing the side ties, raised the wire and re tighten. However this line was almost straight up a line of roadside trees and was not tensioned previously by side ties. Now the raised line has side ties to tension.

brookledge
09-29-2010, 09:47 PM
I'd stay away from a ladder. They are great to use in areas were you have no options and it is the only way to get the sap out. The reason I say this is that you need vacuum, lose it for what ever reason and it doesn't work. I know it might not happen but should you lose power or have other issues it is not worth it on the best run of the yr.
Anyways I'd say your only other option would be to use a small tank that your releaser dumps into and a small submersable pump to then pump it into your higher tank however it imight be a freezing issue.
So your best option is to lower the tank or raise the mainline
Keith

Thad Blaisdell
09-30-2010, 04:58 AM
If you have power at the site do away with the tank and put in an electric releaser. Then all of the sap can be pumped anywhere you would like to put the tank.

Thompson's Tree Farm
09-30-2010, 05:23 AM
I have similar issues but they are a result of little slope. For years I ran the sap into a home built manifold and then lifted it into the releaser. It works but can limit the vacuum to the lines and taps where it is needed the most. I am now using a larger collection vat that is dug 6" into the ground and My releaser is mounted 6" down into the tank. There are 2000 taps coming into this tank but it only needs to hold the sap that may run before my pump line to the sugar house thaws.

bison1973
09-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately I have no power at the site. this is about 600 ft away from the sugarhouse which runs off a generator.

red maples
09-30-2010, 08:30 AM
I have a similar problem. mine is due to flat land/ swamp. I am putting in a ladder. I can't dig it. All my lines drain into the tank behind the sugarhouse unfortunately(or good beacuse I have a ton of swamp maples) is up against the swamp and I have to raise up the tanks about 2-3 feet so I don't get flooded out like last year. So I am putting in a 2 pipe ladder. the good news is I was able to drop my mainline almost 3 feet picking up much needed slope on the flat area. I also changed out the first 150' of mainline from 3/4" to 1" to gain more Vacuum transfer. So we'll see!!!!

Many many producers have had great luck with the sap lifts. and are used very frequently.

from what I have read as long as your system is tight, you will only loose approx. 1" of vacuum. if you put a valve just past the lower line of the ladder and and a shallow tank and loose power at least you might get some gravity sap!!! although be aware that will need to pump it out more frequently.

As far as releasers/extractors. I don't know how many taps you have but I only have about 250+ taps so I use the newly engineered lapierre hobby 500 extractor it works great. just be sure to rinse it every day because it can stick if you don't. they are just over $500 I think mine was got it from the maple guys.

Good luck.

bison1973
09-30-2010, 06:33 PM
There will probably be about 600 taps on it this year. But the most it will ever have is about 850. So some say never to put in a sap ladder for my situation and some say it's no problem?

danno
09-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Why so difficult to raise the end of the mainline? May have to tap your trees higher.

Another option is to find a vacuum tank and not use a releaser.

Using ladders would be my last option. I'd sooner bury the tank, but that could make tank cleaning a pain.

bison1973
09-30-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm dealing with 3 seperate mainlines and not alot of slope to begin with.

Thad Blaisdell
10-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Another thought may be to put the releaser and tank farther away where the two lines would meet. And buy a gas powered pump to pump it back to the sugar house.

red maples
10-01-2010, 06:40 AM
I wish I could bury the tank but my tank was floating last year at low levels. I don't have much of a choice. If I raised my mainline to reach my releaser it would start out at approx. 7 feet and that would put the end at of the first 100 feet at 9 ft and if I run my laterals at 1-2% ( too loww for me) add 15-30 inches for drop lines by the time I get to some taps your talkin' 15 feet in the air!!! I don't have much of a choice.