PDA

View Full Version : Float Box

PARKER MAPLE
09-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi guys,
I just picked tonight a raise flue set of pans for my 3x8. I believe the brand is grimm, at least i know the front pans is grimm. What im wondering if about the float boxes. I know there is a float from the flue pan to the front pan, but I didnt get one for the rear raised flue pan? Am I missing something or is there a float for the rear pan??? what do I need????

Also who far of a gap do I leave between the bottom of the flues and the insulation? and what kind of insulation should i use??

I know lots of questions but never set up a raised flue

Thanks Maple Rookie

brookledge
09-29-2010, 10:05 PM
With a raised flue you need two floats. Unless you want to manually feed it witha valve. but I'd recommend a float be used. I suppose it could have been made with out a float but that seems unlikely. I think most grimm would have had the float on the outside of the flue pan and then had a large delivery tube to take it towards the front of the flue pan where it would enter the pan. Depending on which way you were flowing the sap would depend on which delivery tube was opened.
As for the gap you want it pretty tight. The space in the arch should be right up to the top of the frame rails or just a fraction below. You want to force the heat to all go between the flues. If the heat can travel below the pans that will be heat going out the stack without having any heat transfer
Keith

PARKER MAPLE
09-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Thanks Brookledge ive been waiting for someone on this ine and scratching my head about it. I thought it was to be preety close. as fare as the floats go, I dont know im going to go to bascoms and see what they got and try to retro fit something, it didnt come with any other float besides the one between the two pans.