PDA

View Full Version : Start-up Equipment Shopping in Lower MI

user587
09-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for sharing the info - it's appreciated. I've gotten the maple bug, and I'm gearing up for 2011, have 50 taps marked and it looks like I'll have access to more trees than I care to buy equipment to handle.

I'm putting together a new operation for 100-400 taps, learning a lot from the greater MT community. Does anyone know of any used stuff for sale? I need it all (evap, filter setup, tank, buckets, taps), except I have a nice little finishing pan on propane. I cannot justify buying all new equipment for a hobby that does not appear to be able to pay for itself.

I'll be happy to find some pans maybe 2-3 ft. wide, as right now I'm thinking to build an arch because the air under-and-over fire seems like the way to go and most units I see for sale are not setup for that.

If anyone knows of anything within a days drive, I would be thankful for the lead.

Thanks! - Scott

whalems
09-28-2010, 03:51 PM
What part of Michigan are you from? Sugar bush supplies co. in Mason Mi. has some used equipment. They have a pile of castings of various sizes if you are thinking of building your own arch. Bascommaple.com also has used equipment and of course the classified adds here on the trader.:)

twofer
09-28-2010, 08:22 PM
You can also check out Haigh's Maple Syrup and Supplies in Bellevue.

user587
10-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm in Lapeer County. I'm going to try to get to Sugarbushsupplies to see what they have and also for general advice. I've been looking at MT ads of course, and also craiglist and misc other places, there seems to be a few parts out there but not many.

Thanks again, I'll keep looking and learning.

red maples
10-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Put out the $$$$ man your hooked!!!:lol: Don't worry your wife won't mind;) . and she won't think you crazy either:rolleyes:

xyz5150
10-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Watch E Bay used sugaring stuff shows up on there once in a while. Craigslist is pretty limited here in mid Michigan. I am in Shiawassee county i search craigslist about every day. Sugarbush does have some used stuff and they are very helpful. I built my own 2x4 arch and had a friend build me a 2x4 stainless flat pan with dividers. Thanks to this crazy website i am thinking i need to look for a drop flue setup for my arch. More taps, bigger tanks, bigger evaporators, ro's maple sugaring is a awful disease.

C.Wilcox
10-01-2010, 04:43 PM
I bought my 2X4 flat pan from the guy at this site:

http://www.stainlesssteelcreations.net/maple_syrup_equipment

He does a real nice job welding stainless and has very competetive prices. I see now that he has an evaporator and pan combo for sale at a pretty good price. Start combing your area for firebrick and archboard and see if you can get a decent price. Seems like that can cause people some trouble in some areas so don't wait until spring or you might have to shell out a fortune at the local fireplace store. You shouldn't have to pay more than $2 per brick for splits and your archboard should be about $3/foot.

There are also stainless steel bag holders for sale on the Wausau (WI) Craigslist right now. I believe the seller has 1000 of them for sale and will split them up in to smaller batches if you want. Only $3 each which seems like a great price to me and shipping isn't like to be all that bad if you go with a flat rate box from the USPS. If you want a cheap source of pails just hit up the deli and bakery at your local grocery store. They will often save them for you if you stop in regularly and get them. Just don't make them hold onto a bunch of dirty pails too long or they'll get upset with you. I managed to get nearly 50pails for free this way last year.

I use food grade 55 gallon drums for storage tanks because I can get them for $7 each. They're not as good as some other options, but they work. Keep an eye on craigslist and I'm sure you'll find some near you for a good price as well.

Taps I would buy directly from a supplier new. Don't buy someone else's old rusty 7/16 taps off ebay. A set of aluminum or stainless steel taps will last you your entire life and are a good investment because you're not likely to ever need to replace them unless you go to a tubing set up. If price is an issue you can get nylon 5/16 bucket taps for a really reasonable price and they're super tough. I have some from my grandfather's operation back in 76 and was still using them last year.

Hope this excessively long post is helpful.

ehausinfrats
01-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Scott,I live in Jackson. Got the bug 6 years ago with a buddy. He got out of it but still has a good used half pint. ( only used 3 years total) If interested let me know. I started 2 years ago and went with a different s/up.

Eric

user587
01-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the response Eric. I decided to make my own setup, 2x8. Arch is 95% done, plus needs insulation & bricks. Need to poke holes in the pole barn roof for exhaust & steam stacks. Pans 90% done. Hoods 50% done. Preheater 5% done. Made a water-jacketed filter-canner. Made a plastic barrel farm for sap. Bought a finishing pan from Wegner. Found an ATV to borrow for gathering - need to make racks to carry buckets/small barrel.

Still have 100 little things to do. Hopefully I make it by tapping time!!! Too busy to go to the Michigan event this weekend.

thanks again
Scott

ehausinfrats
01-13-2011, 07:52 PM
I hope you have a better 1st year than i did last year. I got about 2 1/2 weeks and was done. I was just getting the hang of things and it turned warm. You know its kinda funny but i bought my 2 x 6 from a guy in Davison that was quiting.
It worked out well because I travel to Lapeer at least once a week.
Anyway good luck and have fun.

Eric

shane hickey
01-13-2011, 08:00 PM
I hope you have a better 1st year than i did last year. I got about 2 1/2 weeks and was done. I was just getting the hang of things and it turned warm. You know its kinda funny but i bought my 2 x 6 from a guy in Davison that was quiting.
It worked out well because I travel to Lapeer at least once a week.
Anyway good luck and have fun.

Eric I always have people stop by the house and try to sell me their old equipment, Some of it is pretty nice stuff. There is one guy inperticular that is selling out he has a 3x12 evap. w/steem away, canner, he is keeping the buckets and spile but does have used tubing. If you have a phone number I can put in on my bullinten and give you a call if something good comes up that is cheap. shane

sweetscotty
08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
You could always call rmg in the u. P. They are very good when it comes to maple. They sell alot of cdl supplies which is top notch