PDA

View Full Version : Here is one I havent seen asked...

Maplewalnut
09-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Alright here is what I have been debating. I currently have a 1 inch main coming into a releaser with about 400 taps on it. Currently it is the only main into releaser so I have plenty of plugged holes.
I have a conductor ¾ main with about 100 taps that comes right to the 1 inch main but is about 6 feet lower. This 'intersection' is only about 30 yards from the releaser. Either way I need a sap ladder but do I..
1.) tie directly into the 1 inch main line with two spiders for the top of my ladder
2.) tie into the 1 inch mainline with a Y and short piece of 3/4 tube and tie the top of my ladder into the 3/4 instead of directly into the 1 inch main
3.) Run a short stretch of ¾ directly into the releaser from the top of my ladder and leave the 1 inch main alone and then have two lines coming into the releaser

Mike

maplecrest
09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
if you Y into the one inch you will lose farther out one the one inch. i would boost that to one inch to the 3/4 line directly from the releaser. better vac transfer to the ladder. the more you can run direct to releaser the better. the less Y,s the better. sap runs better in straight lines than right angles

Thad Blaisdell
09-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I would do exactly as maplecrest suggested

brookledge
09-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Number 3. Except increase the 3/4 to 1"
One reason you don't want to connect the two of them is that if you lose vac. for what ever reason the 1" line will still run on it's own
Keith

Maplewalnut
09-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Thanks guys. I kinda figured that was the way to go but upsizing to a 1 inch I did not even think of.

Mike

Snow Hill Farm
09-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I have a similar situation and this was helpful info... Besides that I also have another 3/4" with 75 taps coming into a pvc booster on a 1" wet/dry system about 100' from the sugarhouse. Would it be beter to just run the 3/4" direct to the releaser since I have plenty of available ports as well?

bobbyjake
09-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Run a separate 3/4" and ladder to releaser as said by others. Is there anyway to get the 3/4" to come to the releaser directly even if flat? or run it down the hill at a minimum slope so that the ladder is less of a lift? Cheating the 3/4 up and bringing the ladder point closer to the releaser might reduce your lift to nearly nothing...

There must be a point where the 3/4 would flow to the releaser even if flat. Run a separate dry line to the point where the 3/4 would flow flat to the releaser. Doing it is more line, but it will act as a booster and keep vacuum on the line when the ladder is still frozen in the morning.

Snow Hill Farm
09-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I definitely didn't make that clear, I'll try again... I have two separate things going on.
one is the potential for a bunch of taps below a 12' high wet/dry not far from the sugarhouse. The idea of running a 1" out there to a ladder separate from everything is great and I plan to do that to pick up these taps.
The second thing I mentioned is in the same area I have a 3/4" coming into a pvc booster with 75 taps. My question is should I disconnect from the booster and just run that 3/4" an extra 100-150' straight to the releaser since I have a bunch of available ports?