PDA

View Full Version : Grade B Maple syrup

andrew martin
04-06-2005, 01:55 PM
We gave a pint of syrup to one of my clients this year, a landscape architect in Lexington, KY, and he had heard that Grade B maple syrup was actually healthier for persons than Grade A. Is this true or is it simply a marketing strategy? Wild Oats is a large healthfood store in Lexington, and they market primarily Grade B syrup. Does anyone know the chemical differences between Grade A and Grade B syrup that makes one grade healthier than the other? Just curious.

Andrew
[/code]

MaineMapleDave
04-06-2005, 03:00 PM
I think that people are catching on to the fact that it has a stronger flavor than the lighter syrups and are using it as a marketing advantage.

I have seen Grade B advertised as "cooking" or "gourmet" maple syrup because of the robust hearty flavor.

Personally, I prefer the flavor of the darker syrups, as do most everyone I know who has tasted the various grades.

Given the weirdness of the maple grade labels, here in Maine the Grade B seems to be labeled "Grade A Extra Dark."

saphead
11-22-2005, 06:15 PM
A friend was recently up @ Bascom's and told me commercial grade can't be had justv about anywhere and grade B is fetching the same $ as the other grades. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth all the extra bother to make nice light syrup( unless you're doing cream & candy).

brookledge
11-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Craig,
I know what you are saying, seems like light syrup should have a higher price. But the problem is that large producers that make 1,000s of gal of syrup along with a surplus in Canada dictates the wholesale market and seems to keep the wholesale price down.
One would think that with fuel prices so high that it would cause the commercial grade to go up. Late in the season when sugar content is down around 1.5 or lower your looking at 60-1 ratio and with oil around 2/gal thats about $8.00 in oil to make one gal of syrup. And if you are getting $13 to $14 per gal not many bother making it.
I know of a producer near by that uses oil and he makes a little bit of B and then starts dumping his sap.
Keith