PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use one of these for a blower?

Southtowns27
09-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Found this in the Northern catalog:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200007224_200007224
1575 CFM..should be more than enough for my 2.5x8. Just wondering if anyone has seen or used one of these before? I wonder if I can control it with a rheostat, or if I'd have to put a damper in the ducting. Any thoughts?

Bucket Head
09-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes, it would work, but why pay for that and a rheostat? And some electric motors can not use a rheostat. Go find a used furnace blower for a lot less than that Northern one. You can control the amount of air they push by closing off the intakes. You can do that for free with cardboard if you want. I bought a used furnace blower at an antique engine show for $7.00 and I fabricated aluminum "sliding doors" over the intakes and I control the output with those. Doing it this way allows the electric motor to turn at the speed it was designed to and you don't risk damaging it. I'm very happy with its performance and it cost almost nothing compared to the blowers/fans/forced draft units that are offered elsewhere.

Steve

getting started
09-27-2010, 06:50 PM
i have a blower that will work on your rig that i'm looking to sell , will give u a good deal on it call me 518-572-6240