PDA

View Full Version : tap hole contamination

PATheron
09-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Ive got a question about the backflow we discussed regarding the checkvalve spouts. When the releaser dumps (mech) and the sap drifts slightly backwards in the lateral line does just that action contaminate the tap hole with moist dirty air that is being sucked backwards towards the hole or does the sap have to flow through a full column up the drop to contaminate the hole? Theron

DrTimPerkins
09-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Ive got a question about the backflow we discussed regarding the checkvalve spouts. When the releaser dumps (mech) and the sap drifts slightly backwards in the lateral line does just that action contaminate the tap hole with moist dirty air that is being sucked backwards towards the hole or does the sap have to flow through a full column up the drop to contaminate the hole? Theron

Not sure I entirely understand your question, but both air and liquid can be sucked back into the tree if it is in a negative pressure (vacuum) state. Right after a thaw (following a freeze) the tree is in a positive pressure state, which changes to a negative pressure as time and sap flow continue on tubing systems under vacuum.

The sap will contain far more microbes than the air (negligible). There shouldn't be a great deal of air there (could be some coming out of the tree) if the system is real tight.

PATheron
09-27-2010, 04:52 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

PATheron
09-27-2010, 05:05 AM
computer wont let me reply some kind of server problem

PATheron
09-27-2010, 05:05 AM
keep typing my question all up and then it says problem with server of smething

Brian Ryther
09-27-2010, 06:44 AM
[QUOTE=DrTimPerkins;
The sap will contain far more microbes than the air (negligible). There shouldn't be a great deal of air there (could be some coming out of the tree) if the system is real tight.[/QUOTE]

Is the intended primary function of the CV to protect the tap hole from the microbe laden sap or air?

DrTimPerkins
09-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Is the intended primary function of the CV to protect the tap hole from the microbe laden sap or air?

Under optimal conditions, it will do both, however it works far more effectively for sap.