PDA

View Full Version : Calling Syrup Your Own

Amber Gold
09-26-2010, 07:52 AM
There's a general store in town. They have a nice business and do a great job with it. On the sign at the front of their store, it reads "Our Own Maple Syrup". They don't produce syrup, but buy it from Mclure's (I believe...if not them, then another large packager) who packages it in the store's custom jugs. Doesn't McLure's buy syrup from Canada? I believe the store sells thousands of gallons per year.

Legally, how can they call syrup they don't produce their own? The customer doesn't know any better. Isn't this deceitful?

wdchuck
09-26-2010, 08:08 AM
It sounds a little on the deceitful side, doesnt it? Not sure of NH laws, but over here on the other side of the river, We buy may a fair amount of syrup to wholesale under our own label. That's well within VT law, and I dont think anyone would call that misleading (or would they?) I would think that NH laws are probably similar, so if thats the case, they arent violating the spirit of the law......just the same, a sign outside the store calling it "their own" is on shaky ground, even if it's totally legal. I mean, yeah it is their syrup- they paid for it after all, but .........

DrTimPerkins
09-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Legally, how can they call syrup they don't produce their own? The customer doesn't know any better. Isn't this deceitful?

Not intending to judge one way or the other, but this is not unusual for all sorts of products, ranging from those little bottles of shampoo in the hotel (Marriott doesn't make shampoo) to L.L. Bean boots and clothing, to all kinds of food, to washers/dryers, etc. Companies pay other companies to produce things, but label/brand them under their own name. The practice is widespread.

maple flats
09-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I see no problem with that, BUT it does require the seller to make sure the quality is right, after all, it" IS THEIR OWN"
I have only once bought syrup to resell, but I may someday do it again. I buy in bulk, and taste test it. Then I density check it, will pack it in MY bottles and JUGS and sell it as MY SYRUP.

Amber Gold
09-26-2010, 05:09 PM
I guess if they were going out a testing each batch before it was bottle in their jugs, then they could consider "their own". They buy the syrup already bottled and I'd be surprised if they went to northern NH every time they placed an order.

I was just on McLures website and didn't realize they were right in Littleton. McClure's no longer produce's syrup (although they used to), but buy it from New England and Canada. They also own Bacon jug company. I have a job in Colebrook and am going up there for a meeting in two weeks. I wonder if I can tour the plant. It would be interesting.

I do buy syrup in bulk from a local producer (if I didn't I wouldn't have made it through maple weekend). I know the source, their production methods, I taste test each drum, and check it for grade. Doing this, I consider at close to my own as I can get without producing it myself.

It just seems funny with what they're doing, but if their not breaking any laws then I guess it's OK.

Homestead Maple
09-26-2010, 06:42 PM
It would be interesting to read the label on their containers. By NH law the container has to state the grade and who produced or packaged it. If they produced the syrup, the label can read "produced by" and if they are buying the syrup from someone else it has to read "packaged by". You have probably seen syrup that has a label that reads, "product of USA/Canada. The store owners own the syrup and the buyer may not check to see what the label of origin has to say. Tricky, huh?

Amber Gold
09-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Good point. I'll look the next time I'm in there.

Homestead Maple
09-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Good point. I'll look the next time I'm in there.
429:14 Labels. –
I. Every shipment, package or container of maple syrup packed, sold, offered or exposed for sale or distribution by any person shall be plainly marked according to packaging and labeling rules and shall include:
(a) The name, address, and zip code of the packer, distributor, or producer;
(b) The true name of the product;
(c) The grade; and
(d) The volume of the contents at 68 degrees Fahrenheit or 20 degrees Celsius.
II. Every shipment, package or container of maple products other than maple syrup, packed, sold, offered or exposed for sale or distribution by any person shall be plainly marked according to packaging and labeling rules and shall include:
(a) The name, address and zip code of the packer;
(b) The true name of the product;
(c) The volume of the contents at 68 degrees Fahrenheit or 20 degrees Celsius if the product is a liquid or with the net weight if the product is not a liquid.
III. Any labeling on bulk or packaged maple syrup which indicates ""state of New Hampshire pure maple syrup'', ""New Hampshire maple syrup,'' ""New Hampshire syrup,'' or any other words which imply that the syrup so marked was produced in New Hampshire shall be used exclusively upon maple syrup which is entirely produced within the state of New Hampshire in compliance with the terms of this subdivision and the rules adopted hereunder.
IV. Any labeling on all other maple products which states or implies that those products were produced in New Hampshire shall be used exclusively upon pure maple products which are entirely produced within the state of New Hampshire in compliance with the terms of this subdivision and the rules adopted hereunder.