PDA

View Full Version : Questions for you guys with RO's

Dan W
09-21-2010, 08:46 PM
I recently aquired an RO that has 3-2.5x40 membranes that are not suited for syrup. In talking with Joe at Atlantic RO rather than buying 3 new membranes, it is more economical to go with a single 4x40 NF270 and a new housing. I have a few questions though. Do you run from the RO directly to the head tank or to a storage tank then to the head tank? At 1.5% sap what % can I expect in a single pass through the RO. I was thinking of running my plumbing so I can feed either the head tank while I was boiling or divert it to the storage tank when not. If my math is correct, concentrating 1.5% to 6% would be a 4 to 1 reduction, ie. 400 gallons of sap to 100 gallons of concentrate-is this correct? If I am, that would make for a lot of easy boiling nights after spendin 2 hours collecting buckets. This past year was horrible but in 2009 my best days averaged 2 gallons per tap and at 250 taps I have the potential for 500 gallons of sap on the good days. My 2x6 raised flue rig does about 25 to30 gallons per hour and I'm sure it would cut down on the boiling time tremendously. Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.Thanks, Dan.

maplemat1
09-21-2010, 09:08 PM
this past year was the first for the ro and all i have to say is wow wish i would of had one years ago. the single membrane is probly best. i have my that feeds the feed tank and with a twit of a couple valves it can go to the storage tank.if yuo return it to the storage tank while collecting it wont take as long to concebtrate to a higher content when ready to boil.gook luck

tuckermtn
09-22-2010, 09:40 AM
I have my plumbing set up such that I can feed my 120 gal head tank or a 300 gal milk tank outside with the concentrate off the RO- just a simple ball valve to divert. then I have to pump it back up to the overhead feed tank when I make room.

Yes I use the 4 to 1 reduction as a general rule of thumb. Some will depend on the membranes and pressures your RO will take. My best one pass rate last year was from 1.9% up to 10%. My RO is almost 30 yrs old but it does have recirculation which I think makes those single pass rates do-able.

you will LOVE the RO...

Russell Lampron
09-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I can't give you numbers for doing a single pass with your RO because there are too many unknowns. I recirculate mine back to my bulk storage tank and send it to the head tank when it is sweet enough. I normally sweeten into the upper teens which really cuts down on the boiling times and wood usage. The NF 270 flows faster than the NF 90 but will pass some sugar under high pressure and at higher concentration levels.

brookledge
09-23-2010, 09:43 PM
One other thing you can do is put in a overflow line off the top of your feed tank to go back out to your storage tank. That way if you don't notice the feed tank getting full from the RO it will not over flow
Keith