PDA

View Full Version : Maple bats

Maplewalnut
09-20-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm all for MLB banning maple bats and leaving more trees in the woods to tap! (I think maple makes make ugly cabinets and flooring to)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/maple-bats-need-looked-at-before-theres-a-tragedy-092010//

twobears1224
09-20-2010, 03:51 PM
they should ban maple bats..there dangerous as heck and maple wood is way to stiff to be used for bats.

trapper for life
delbert

xyz5150
09-20-2010, 03:59 PM
They Should use aluminum maybe baseball wouldn't be so boring.

Revi
09-21-2010, 09:15 AM
I think one of the home run kings used a maple bat.

What was his name? He played for San Francisco.

I think it's okay to use a maple bat.

Construction is way down anyway, so there isn't much maple being used for flooring any more.

I know some guys up north that have 100,000 taps and they said that the maple was being cut around them for bowling alley floors and such in the early 2000's.

I don't think baseball bats made much of a dent in the hardwood market.

Revi
09-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Was it Barry Bonds?

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2010/09/tyler_colvin_stabbed_barry_bonds.php

brookledge
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Put a tap into the tree then usually no one will want to log it since the butt log will have too much staining. Any ways I agree with Revi making bats doesn't use up much wood like flooring and cabinets.
Keith

twobears1224
09-24-2010, 07:54 AM
father please forgive me for i have sinned!! :D when,i was logging fulltime you guys wouldn,t believe some of the maple i cut down.one spot on internation papers land had never been cut.i was using a john deere 540 skidder and all i could pull was two trees at a time.they grow on flat ground too.in another spot we cut the LITTLE!! trees they where atleast four feet acrossed on the stump.it bugs me every time i have to cut a nice maple down.i,de much rather see them used to make syrup.

delbert

red maples
09-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Yes they use Ash for bats. Some players use them and think they are better?!

And Yes they should really ban the use of maple bats. I just think they are really too hard and thats why they break so easy. very dangerous. But of course the whole union thing.

maple flats
09-26-2010, 06:52 AM
Ash is already the most used wood for bats. The problem is the Emerald Ash Borer. It WILL KILL ALL ASH TREES in a few years. It was discovered just a few years (10?) ago in Michigan and it has aready spread across several states. When it hits the tree dies in 2-3 years. AS of now it has spread as far as south western NY.
Another wood is needed. I personally can't see bats using so much wood that it would be a problem. WE only too often fail to properly thin a bush for max yield and with more and more producers going to oil especially those using RO's this would give us a market. The butts could be sold as firewood and above the tap stains we could sell as bat stock. That would be worth more to us than firewood.
It may seem a sin to cut Maple but consider the long term best yield of the bush. Just like you thin carrots in the garden to get better ones in the end.