PDA

View Full Version : Syrup Viscosity

Jim OK
04-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Is syrup viscosity always tied to Specific Gravity? If I tell you I have runny syrup you'll want to tell me I didn't take it far enough. If large sugar crystals form in my jars you'd think I took it too far. But I'm getting both in the same jar. Could it have anything to do with my crude methods? Because I use such a small pan (11" x 19") I am continually adding sap into the pan which holds a small amount of near syrup. Whatever sap goes in first spends a long time in the pan. I can't draw off like an evaporator, nor can I fit a reasonable batch in the pan at once. I know this is why my syrup is always dark, but could it also be why I get rock candy forming in thin syrup?

lharris1
04-05-2005, 10:06 AM
I used a similar size pan last year along with a larger 30" range pan and had a five gallon elevated bucket with a continuous trickle feed. I would suggest boiling down to near syrup, set that aside (refirgerate if necessary), boild down another batch to near syrup; then combine the two to finish out. Are you using a syrup hydrometer for final density? I tried finishing some out in a stove pan based on temperature and it was hard to get an accurate temperature reading and my first couple of attempts came out thin and apparently below standard density.

brookledge
04-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Jim,
are the crystals forming in syrup that your hydrometer says is to light? If so your hydrometer is off and you are not getting an acurate reading. Otherwise I have never had anyone say its too thin and too thick at the same time. Check your hydrometer see if that helps.
Keith

sugaring42long
04-05-2005, 10:11 PM
I have seen this before. What happens is if the syrup was a little heavy to begin with like above 68 brix it will start precipitating sugar crystals to reach a point of equilibrium. Unfortunately once crystals start growing they pull sugar from the liquid syrup and won't stop growing until the syrup brix is low usually around 65 brix.

What you end up with is what you described, crystals on the bottom and thin syrup on the top. I have seen whole drums do this if they have heavy syrup and sit undisturbed for a long time. Hope this helps

brookledge
04-06-2005, 07:22 PM
I've never had that happen to me but it makes sense. Learn something new all the time.
Keith

sweetwoodmaple
04-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Confirms my theory as well. Thought I had this happen when I store my syrup in buckets before processing, but never actually measured before and after density.

Brian

Jim OK
04-21-2005, 10:58 AM
If my hydrometer says the brix is too high, can I add water to bring it back down?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Jim,

You can add some water to it and reheat it to make sure it mixes correctly and the syrup density is correct. :)