PDA

View Full Version : Red Maple

Acersaccharum
06-18-2003, 08:38 PM
Anybody out there tapping reds? I have a substantial number of large Red Maple trees on the farm and was wondering what the ratio of sap to syrup content was and if they are worth tapping knowing that they have a lower sugar content? Thanks for the help Eric

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-18-2003, 08:57 PM
Eric,

I have always tapped red maples and most of the other guys have also. They do have a little lower sugar content but are great sap producers and with you looking to go to a 2 x 6, I would definitely tap them. The only drawbacks to red maples other than the sugar content being slightly lower is that they do produce more sugar sand and they do bud a little earlier than a sugar.

Nearly any producer, backyarder or commercial, will tap red maples. Especially if he has pipeline running right by them or easy access to them for buckets.

Tap them, they will be needed once you get the nearly new 2 x 6.

By the way, you may want to check out the link below or give them a call on a used evaporator. I have bought stuff from them for over 12 years and they are wonderful to deal with and will dicker some on prices!

www.bascommaple.com

Brandon

backyardsugarer
06-19-2003, 06:43 AM
Brandon is right on, I have tapped some red maples for years and they do fine especially early in the year. However, because the wood is softer, it will split and cause sap to "bleed" out of the tree rather than through the tap so be aware of that when hammering in your taps. I plan to use almost half red maples this year because I am also getting a bigger 2X6. Good Luck.

Chris

mapleman3
06-19-2003, 07:04 AM
I too will be tapping Reds this year, they will make up about 100 of my 250-300 taps. if there is a lower sugar content you just boil more. but hey .. a long day of boiling is always better than a good day at work!!!
Jim

Acersaccharum
06-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Hey Chris, Brandon, and Jim I appreciate the info. Eric

mapleman3
06-21-2003, 06:40 AM
Acer, just curious, how many taps and whats your setup like?
Jim

Acersaccharum
06-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Hey Jim, I just started this year with a borrowed 55gal barrel arch and put out 42 taps, sugar maple. I have been cruising the property and have close to 100 sugar maple taps that I can put on a mainline and an easy 200 red taps on a seperate line. I'm thinking of picking up a 2x6 sometime this year so I can work it next year.

mapleman3
06-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Acer.. 2x6 is a very popular size ... seems to be the rig these days. you sound like you'll have plenty to tap.. go for it!!
Jim

Salmoneye
06-23-2003, 12:42 PM
2x6 may be 'the most popular size', but if you are like the rest of us, you will outstrip that size quickly...

It's a disease I tell ya...

;-)

themapleking
06-23-2003, 06:49 PM
Sell the 2x6 buy 3x8, Than a get a preheater hood sell that, buy a 4x10 get a steam away. sell the steam away buy a R.O. machince, buy more land, 12,000 taps more tanks, bottling unit, filter press, and on and on, what are we doing to ourselfs. :roll: :roll:

mapleman3
06-23-2003, 07:09 PM
I just want to fire up my 2x6... :lol:
Jim

GIVE ME STEAM!!!!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-23-2003, 08:26 PM
You know what they say about greed.....................

Brandon